Whoa. And not necessarily in a good way....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Doesn't surprise me. There have been circuits like this on runoffgroove.com for ages. Take a classic amp circuit, replace the tubes with transistors and make it a pedal...

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 pm

What's disturbing to me is the helpful search terms that are highlighted throughout the article. Yes, MSN, please do a search for 'sound quality' for me. WTF?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm sure that most people will complain that you can't just make ANY amp sound like a fender tube amp with a pedal. And, they will be right.
But, I'm just as sure that at least one person will do something that sounds really awesome with one of these pedals.

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:29 pm

From a marketing standpoint, I think this is genius. Seems almost like a no-brainer.

From a (self-admittedly "vintage snob") player's standpoint, I am hesitant to think these will be a substitute for the real thing... unless I am missing something.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 pm

i thought fender would have better taste than this...

it's gonna take a while to get used to thinking of the fender breakup as sounding metalic and mediocre.

why didn't they join forces with pro co, or tech 21...or whatever...

boss!?

gaaawd. stupid arses.

what's worse is that this is a pretty cool concept...but, BOSS!?

gaaaaaaaaaawd.
Last edited by creature.of.habit on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by jetboatguy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 pm

At last !!

I can finally ditch that God forsaken '65 Deluxe Reverb amp...
it's breaking my back !
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 pm

they probably suck, but I'm kinda curious... at least they can't sound as shitty as a SansAmp... SansAmps are pretty much only good on anything but guitar...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm sure you can coax something cool from them. They obviously won't sound like the amps on the label... just like my "Hendrix" Fuzz pedal doesn't make me sound like Hendrix.

Could you imagine plugging one of these pedals into some kind of "modeling" amp set to the same model? it might just cause both of 'em to catch fire!

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Is this legit? I thought it was a photoshop'd picture. That's really, really odd.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:36 pm

"We're constantly being asked... Of the many distortion devices out there, which one do we recommend to bring out the overdrive in these classic amps - and keep that Fender tone intact. After working with BOSS on this project - the answers are the FBM-1 and FDR-1."
-This is kind of confusing. Are these pedals designed to replicate the sound of a vintage tube amp, or are they merely "distortion" devices supposedly matched for vintage amps, or more likely some strange combination thereof? either way...coolest idea since the "grunge" pedal :roll:
me make purty musick!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:45 pm

The pedals say "COSM" on them, which is Roland's modelling engine. My guess is that these are like Pods, modelling each Fender amp in the engine.

Kind of like mini-Pods or something.....

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:46 pm

creature.of.habit wrote:i thought fender would have better taste than this...

it's gonna take a while to get used to thinking of the fender breakup as sounding metalic and mediocre.

why didn't they join forces with pro co, or tech 21...or whatever...

boss!?

gaaawd. stupid arses.

what's worse is that this is a pretty cool concept...but, BOSS!?

gaaaaaaaaaawd.
I'll buy boss any day over the fucking line 6 crap. gross. what is wrong with the boss?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 pm

jwl wrote:The pedals say "COSM" on them, which is Roland's modelling engine. My guess is that these are like Pods, modelling each Fender amp in the engine.

Kind of like mini-Pods or something.....
I was going to say that.... It's not an analog circuit, like a Runoffgroove project.

I am also a "nothing beats a real amp" kind of guy, but why is everyone so quick to jump on these pedals and call them crap?

Maybe they sound great. Maybe digital models can sound good in their own way, even if they aren't exactly the real McCoy. Case in point: I was messing around with the Guitar Rig plug-in last night and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I was inspired enough to just sit there and play guitar for an hour or more. Isn't that what counts?

If Boss already has the algorhythms for these tones in their multieffects, why not throw the EPROM into a stompbox?

Roger

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Let me be Captain Contrary and say I think this is awesome. Obviously nobody will look at it and consider it to be "equivalent" to the amp, but trying to stick that vibe in a pedal really is a brilliant scheme, and it honestly appeals to me a hell of a lot.

Of course if they suck all bets are off. But it would be great if they were decent models that you could really get a fair sound out of.