What Did You Work On Today? 1-25-07

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:36 am

Got out of the office for a day by driving up to Wisconsin, to help install a rental PA system for a high school musical (yes, they're doing "High School Musical"). Nice day, a bit of crawling around the catwalks to hang speakers. I managed to drop my Surefire flashlight down into a wall cavity, but was able to fish it out with some tie line and a wire hook.

Got home after about a 12 hour day, had a couple beers and a salad, and eventually went to bed.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Just had band practice and messed around with nuendo.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:38 pm

Still trying to figure out the Beach Boys contribution....

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Made a delivery for a friend of mine who runs an amp repair business and then he helped me with the AC30 project we're building using an old 70's Peavey "Deuce" cabinet and chassis. We're both building AC30's?he finished his already and it sounds ridiculous. I tried it yesterday with his Les Paul. Wow! I can't wait to fire up my Tele through mine. I should be done tomorrow. Pretty much all that's left is to drop all the parts in on the board?resistors, caps and such. The tubes and transformers have been in for a while.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:48 pm

Had a GREAT recording session (as a musician, not an engineer for once) friday morning. I've been friends with a local avant jazz drummer for nearly 20 years now, and even though I have mastered most of his records, attended a million of his shows, etc., we really haven't played together very much. We are always talking about recording, and finally, a few weeks ago, we just set a date. It was a trio, me on keys, him on drums and his long-time bass player. We recorded at his studio direct to DAT.

I showed up with my Hohner pianet, Nord lead, a bunch of FX and the laptop running Live, both for real time looping and some soft-synth stuff. Dave, the drummer, had his kit, a bunch of percussion and his Roland Fantom keyboard. Bass player played fretted & fretless jazz, and a bunch of stompboxes and loopers. We recorded 80 minutes of material in about 3 hours, and it was pretty cool, all free improv, ranging from ECM kind of ambient stuff to full on energy music to an Alice Coltrane tune. It was a blast, and we're planning on doing monthly session for a while. We're joking about doing a 10CD set by next christmas. Will probably post some tunes online in a few days.

Went home, spent a few hours mixing a celtic trio I'm working with (fiddle, guitar, tabla), then went to see a Bhutanese Buddhist monk dance performance. Pretty cool day overall.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:56 am

rydberg wrote:
ipressrecord wrote: Would that be the "About A Girl" compilation, though the FDR Label ( www.facedown.net )??? I recorded a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "April Come She Will" for a friends' band. It was also submitted to that comp. Just curious.

Us Philly folk should get together for a beer night, soon.

Jeff

As a matter of fact, it was. Who did you record doing that song?

My drinking problem is always flaring up, so I'm down with a beer night. Missed the one over at Bob and Barbara's a while back. (Nate Wiley R.I.P)

P.
I recorded my friends' band, Swivel Chairs. We cut that song in like two nights last summer at my old apartment. I just received an email from Mick and he told me that he's shooting for a May release date. Looking forward to hearing your song.

Yeah, I missed that beer night as well. I'm going to put out an APB real soon and see what Philly peeps would like to do a dinner/drinks around town. The Royal Tavern, Johnny Brendas, North Third, Standard Tap... someplace with good beer, good tunes, and some space to chat.

Jeff

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:42 am

Hey Jeff -

Sounds cool. Lemme know when you post the call to arms.

P.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 am

Late on this one...

Just finished mixing the new Soulive record, and starting the lettuce record.... back to back soul for me this month!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:39 am

joel hamilton wrote:Late on this one...
No shit! Start your own self-congratulatory thread! :D

CG

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:52 am

yesterday i mastered a record for this guy who's a sort of insider in the boston music scene. super easy to work with, the record sounded great, it was a pleasure. when it came time to pay it turned out he didn't have his checkbook on him, and as it happened he'd lost his ATM card just the day before. so for payment he hooked me up with 2 tickets to see the police at fenway. front row seats.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:10 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:so for payment he hooked me up with 2 tickets to see the police at fenway. front row seats.
Are you hearing this, cgarges?

Fenway is my own personal Mecca.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:31 pm

Man, not TWO minutes ago I was talking to a friend of mine about how cool it would be to see one of those Fenway shows.

Scott has some great karma! Congrats! By the way, need a date?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 pm

cgarges wrote:Man, not TWO minutes ago I was talking to a friend of mine about how cool it would be to see one of those Fenway shows.

Scott has some great karma! Congrats! By the way, need a date?
(I bet Chris'd put out for the Police.)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Yeah, for front row, you'd be surprised.

CG

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 pm

i can't believe anyone takes anything i post seriously.

:D