Alesis Midi Verb 3 or other cheap Reverbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dan0war570
audio school graduate

Post by dan0war570 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:59 pm

heres another cheap one LEXICON ALEX REVERB???? has anyone used it???my local music go round has just been killing me with cheap outboard. plus i just got a Soundtracs 16ch MIDI Pc Console for $1500!!!!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Re: I killed 2 wedges

Post by Jeff White » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:58 pm

trodden wrote:I'm looking for a small format effects unit to add some heavy verb to one of the vocalists in the band i play in. We can't always count on sound people at some of the venues we play (warehouses, basements, etc) and she needs/wants heavy verb effect on her style of vox. I don't want to buy another nanoverb. Its got to be small cause i don't have room in my rack for another full size unit, but have some room for something small to sit on top of the rack or off to the side. I was thinking about the wedge, thinking i could use that in the studio as well and would go in on half with her if its usuable in the studio. Haven't checked out the picoverb though..
Ummm... EH Holy Grail and sharpie??? Seriously, the Holy Grail sounds amazing.

Most reverbs become infinitely better when you cut everything above 5K and everything below 500Hz. I usually place one of DP's MWEQs after the Waves IR-1 etc with a prest set to cut these freqs.

I had a Quadraverb Plus from 1994 until around 1998 then the main mono i/o died and I gave it away. Back then I liked it a lot and there are still folks who use these all of the time. I had a NanoVerb as well back in the 4-track days so that I could use effects on both the FX sends (Quadra + Nano). The Nano kind of sucked but the Non-linear reverb setting is amazing, or at least was amazing to me back then. Sending sound to the Nano on that setting and simultaneously playing with the FX send amount (as in cutting off all sound to the Nano) on my old 424MK2 (or the Tascam 32 channel board at school) and the amount of reverb on the Nano was like smearing and elongating the sound. I've still never heard anything quite like it. Ghostly. I would like to get one to play with that setting alone once again.

I currently have a Quadraverb 2.0 that I bought for less than $200 back in 2003 and I've barely used. To me the Lexicon MPX500 is much much much nicer (I've A/B'd them) but the Quad2.0 is like a tweakers wet dream. It just sits here unused since I bought my G5 back in 2004. Now that I have IR-1, IR-L, BlueVerb, etc I have no reason to use it. The delays are cool, though. But then again, so are the ones on my G5 and Powerbook.

I'll gladly trade it to someone for a Holy Grail... or an RE201! :D

Jeff

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: I killed 2 wedges

Post by trodden » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:02 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
trodden wrote:I'm looking for a small format effects unit to add some heavy verb to one of the vocalists in the band i play in. We can't always count on sound people at some of the venues we play (warehouses, basements, etc) and she needs/wants heavy verb effect on her style of vox. I don't want to buy another nanoverb. Its got to be small cause i don't have room in my rack for another full size unit, but have some room for something small to sit on top of the rack or off to the side. I was thinking about the wedge, thinking i could use that in the studio as well and would go in on half with her if its usuable in the studio. Haven't checked out the picoverb though..
Ummm... EH Holy Grail and sharpie??? Seriously, the Holy Grail sounds amazing.

Most reverbs become infinitely better when you cut everything above 5K and everything below 500Hz. I usually place one of DP's MWEQs after the Waves IR-1 etc with a prest set to cut these freqs.
yeah man, i got the holier grail and use it as an outboard verb on mixes all the time. Something sub 100 was the idea so when it does get abused on the road, lost or broken, its not too much to replace. good suggestion though. i won a wedge on ebay for $56 bucks, we'll try that one again!

and yeah the non-lin patch on the nanoverb was the best thing that thing did. i forgot how bad ass that was...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 pm

if anyone is handy, these will likely go cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0107115344

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am

dan0war570 wrote:heres another cheap one LEXICON ALEX REVERB???? has anyone used it???my local music go round has just been killing me with cheap outboard. plus i just got a Soundtracs 16ch MIDI Pc Console for $1500!!!!
You shouldn't drink so much coffee- you can afford to lose a few punctuation marks. :D

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:51 am

kayagum wrote:
dan0war570 wrote:heres another cheap one LEXICON ALEX REVERB???? has anyone used it???my local music go round has just been killing me with cheap outboard. plus i just got a Soundtracs 16ch MIDI Pc Console for $1500!!!!
You shouldn't drink so much coffee- you can afford to lose a few punctuation marks. :D
I'm on BIG cup #3 and looky no punctuation you just need a little self control and the space bar it even sounds nice I wanna go there space bar
space bar
yeah
Harumph!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:26 am

yeahyeahyeah dude spacebar space yeah bar like in space when you go to the bar and order a triple space mocha latte bar with extra redbull and the space guy at the bar counter is like you gotta speak up space it gets really bar bar boomy out here in space cos bar man are those spaces man spacestations they are just not very acoustically nice uh uh uh huh nah space
Village Idiot.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:43 am

quadruple space double caff caff caff caff caff
Harumph!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:06 am

Decaf, please.

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:12 am

If you are looking for a killer verb for around $100.00, then you need to check out the Ibanez SDR1000. This thing was around $1200.00 new, back in the late 80's and is a true stereo, way editable single rack space verb. No external wall wart or any such nonsense. The other cool thing about it, is that it is really a Sony made unit. It is sonically like the MUR-201 and the layout is quite similar. It was marketed towards guitar players but I use one in the studio and my partner has two of them. They are stellar on drums and some vocals, usually rock and pop stuff. The downside is that it is sort of hard to get around on for editing purposes but it is a unique verb. I would definitely take it over any of the Alesis units, no offense guys. It is definitely another one to check out and they are on E-bay fairly regularly.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Feedback wrote:If you are looking for a killer verb for around $100.00, then you need to check out the Ibanez SDR1000. This thing was around $1200.00 new, back in the late 80's and is a true stereo, way editable single rack space verb. No external wall wart or any such nonsense. The other cool thing about it, is that it is really a Sony made unit. It is sonically like the MUR-201 and the layout is quite similar. It was marketed towards guitar players but I use one in the studio and my partner has two of them. They are stellar on drums and some vocals, usually rock and pop stuff. The downside is that it is sort of hard to get around on for editing purposes but it is a unique verb. I would definitely take it over any of the Alesis units, no offense guys. It is definitely another one to check out and they are on E-bay fairly regularly.
I second that! If you can get one of these they are a truly good buy. I loved them in the eighties. Kept them in the live rack and studio.
Harumph!

joelkriske
gettin' sounds

Post by joelkriske » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 am

too late for a post...
i'll think about it tomorrow, as i dream
so green yr tasting the chlorophyll (fresh breath anyone?)

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:56 pm

One of the guys from Weezer once said, "Reverb is for pussies."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:51 pm

I knew a welder that said "gloves is fer pussies", he burned his hands a LOT.
Harumph!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 am

hell yeah... got the wedge on thursday, made some cables for it today.. started fekin' around with it with some songs i've got to mix tomorrow.. awesome. I love this thing. i've mostly been using a combo of DVerb in the box along with either/and lexicon LXP-1, Holier Grail, SPX90 on the boards aux's but this thing has some fun sounds in it. I bought it cheap for live use but i can tell its going to used a lot in the studio as well. Im waking up early tomorrow to fuck around with it some more so i can bust out some fun on the mix.