Connecting two tascam 388s?????

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:23 am

stereobongos wrote:
drumsound wrote:
SMPTE does not need to be printed hot like regular audio. I paid $5 for my little JL Cooper MPTE/MTC thing.
I based that comment on the way engineers at Flyte Tyme in Mpls in the 90s di it when I was there. They used Otari MTR90II (8 machines in four studios!), and to the best of my recollection they did not use the adjacent tracks. Of course, since they were using a 2" 24trk deck just for vocals, I guess they had tracks to spare.
I'm quite happy with 8, couldn't imagine using more than 16. I consider myself lucky.
I've heard people talk about leaving a blank next to the SMPTE, but I've never had a problem using track 23...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:25 am

Evergreen wrote:yeah, i dont think i'm going to try hooking them both together. the second one i got is totally messed up. it's not mine it's a buddys and i just finished testing it out and it has some serious issues. i might still buy it from him for parts. it was a fun thought though.

here is a pic of the two together because i know you guys like this sorta thing. and notice that all the vu meters light up. the one on the left is mine.

Did you print Andy Herlad's band on the 388 this weekend?

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:31 pm

drumsound wrote:
Did you print Andy Herlad's band on the 388 this weekend?
yes, i did track andy's band on the 388 this weekend. Things Falling Apart is the band. I'm in the band too.

andy said something to me that he was talking to someone he knew in bloomington and that this thread came up. small world.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Andy is a huge talent! Ask him for copies of Icarus Syndrome. I think I still have the record I did with his band when they were all still in high school.