Rode NTK vs. NT2000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

coldfingaz
audio school graduate

Rode NTK vs. NT2000

Post by coldfingaz » Thu May 10, 2007 9:26 am

Any thoughts?

It would be used for vocals & acoustic, plus some occasional electric guitar amp micing. Other suggestions in the same price range are welcome. Thanks!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat May 12, 2007 6:57 pm

Is that a 70's D18?

Anyway, I can see both of those mics being too bright for that guitar. I used to have an NTK and it didn't sound much better than the worst of the Chinese microphones IMO. W/ that kind of dough, I'd look either into an AT 4047 or some sort of really good dynamic mic: RE 20/ Heil PR40/ Sennheiser 441

coldfingaz
audio school graduate

Post by coldfingaz » Sat May 12, 2007 9:25 pm

It's a 90's Guild D25, but you were close enough tonally.

OK, if the Rode mics are too bright (I'll also be using a Martin 000-15/all mahogany & a Guild DV52/rosewood sides) for recording. Vocals will be a fairly low register. If I can also use this as a 2nd mic on guitar amps along with a 57 that would be an added bonus.

Other mics I'm considering after reading here for a number of hours:

AT3035
AT4033
AT4047
NT1000 (same issue w/brightness?)
SM7B

Am I on the right track or missing something obvious?

Thanks!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 am

I like the SM7B on acoustic guitars and other things too, but I could see people not liking it on acoustic. Maybe too noisy on quiet-fingerstyle stuff. And it's smooth and dark. But I love it, and use it for almost anything.
I have a couple 70's yomammas, an old guild M20 and a Gibson J-50.

You might not even want to listen to me because I'm such a junkie for Beggar's Banquet sounding stuff, and early Dylan. Really Dry, nice and dark.

I never really understood why people are so nuts about having to use a condensor for acoustic guitar. I throw a 57 on my Gibson all the time, just because that's what's up, and I love that sound.

But, there's some high-fi dynamic mikes out there that you would probably never get rid of once you owned it. I mean, EV RE-20's are staples everywhere, Sennheiser 441's too, Heil PR40's are awesome for some nice high-fi, crisp acoustic guitar. I am sure those mics can make an awesome recording with your guitars.

If you really need the air of a condensor, it's just hard to get without being brittle in the price range that you mentioned. I've owned both the Rode NT1000 and the NTK and have tried an NT1A, and they all didn't sound much different to me. They were all too bright, and had some wierd sort of mid-range scoop that I didn't like. I havn't tried that Nt2000 one, but I don't really have a desire to. I used to own an AT 4033 too, and I also thought that was too bright, but better than the Rodes.

I've actually never used a 4047, so reccomending that was just heresay (I know, I probably shouldn't do that, but I've heard nothing but that it's dark and vintagey, so naturally i want one.)

Anyway, good luck.

If I had it to do over again, and I had no mics and I wanted to mic the acoustic guitars I have, I'd probably try to find a Heil PR40 for high-fi stuff, an SM7B just because, and a Shure SM57 for my gibby.

coldfingaz
audio school graduate

Post by coldfingaz » Tue May 15, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks a lot, honkyjonk. You've given me a lot to consider, and I really appreciate you taking the time to go into some detail. The Heil sounds interesting! I'm not looking for crystal clear or a big hi fi sound for everything. It would be nice to have the option for certain songs though.

Beggar's Banquet is my favorite stones LP, and I'm also a fan of old Dylan so you're remarks are hitting home. For now I'm planning to use the RNP I just bought with my pair of SM57's & a 58 for a while to see what kind of results I can get. Next step is to get the right mic or mics... well, once I can afford something and make some decisions. Thanks again.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed May 16, 2007 6:42 am

I agree that you don't always need to use a condenser mic on acoustics, and as has been mentioned already, the MD441 is a great mic for almost anything!

For vocals however, even though you can get a good sound on a dynamic, I still prefer the sound of a good LDC on most voices/styles.

I have never heard the NT2000, but I did have an NTK for a couple of years and although it had a great overall tone, it was very tinny at the top and tended towards sibilance on a lot of vocalists. Not a bad mic, but not one that I would choose as a first choice.

If you can spare a bit more cash, look into a Brauner or maybe something used on Ebay. In that $500 range, I have just not seen anything that I would recommend for vocals...
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed May 16, 2007 11:45 am

a Royer modded MXL 2001 is incredible, but you'll have to build it yourself.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed May 16, 2007 8:51 pm

I am going to buck the trend here and say that although I totally hate the NTK on EVERYTHING else, I love it on acoustic guitar. I will say though I record alot of boxy lower mid-rangey sounding guitars. For these the NTK brings out a really nice top end and cuts through a mix while not sounding thin. Just my two cents of course. The Studio Projects C1 is pretty similar for a lot less money as I am sure the NT1 is. I would really try to audition a few mic's and or buy from a place you can return to.

Here is a myspace link to an album I did and all the acoustics were recorded with an NTK through an SC N72.

http://www.myspace.com/carolinaband

I have the 4047 and although I LOVE that mic, it has a very low mid range but rich sound. It would definitely not be my first choice for acoustic if I wanted jangly, but would be a good choice for a darker sound. It's an amazing mic and you can't go wrong, but I normally pick it to round out harsh sounds or for vocals.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu May 17, 2007 8:38 am

I just went back and listened to this and realize that I love jangly guitars so take that into consideration on the NTK recommendation!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am

Also consider Oktavamod mics.

coldfingaz
audio school graduate

Post by coldfingaz » Sat May 19, 2007 4:48 pm

honkyjonk wrote:If I had it to do over again, and I had no mics and I wanted to mic the acoustic guitars I have, I'd probably try to find a Heil PR40 for high-fi stuff

Thanks again, honkyjonk. Bought a PR40 today. Can't wait to test it out within the next week or two. Appreciate all the feedback and info this thread offered. Figured I'd go with a nicer dynamic mic for now since I already have a couple SM57's & a 58. I'll save up for a more expensive condensor at some point down the road.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Mon May 21, 2007 4:10 am

Congratulations on the Heil. I have been wanting to try one of those out.

Just a quick addendum to my earlier posts. I recorded a singer songwriter yesterday, acoustic and vocals and this thread got me to thinking. I threw up the 4047 next to the NTK and whoa, sounded amazing. Really rich and nice. If it were a full band recording I might go for the NTK cause it would cut through the mix better, but for just guitar and vocals, damn the 4047 sounded amazing. I love that mic. . .