Neck adjustment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Neck adjustment

Post by junkstar » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 am

So, my new bass has a neck problem. I've adjusted necks before successfully, but never one that was this bad. I've done two half turns this past week and it has helped tremendously. I want to do another 1/4 or 1/2 turn, but wanted to get opinions from you guys on how wise this may be. Seems like a possible full turn and 1/2 could be excessive. Opinions? Thanks.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 am

I doubt it will be a problem. . .

I would, however, be concerned if this is a brand new bass. I'm a big believer that all stringed instruments need setting up when you first get them. If you need this much extra tension on the truss rod right out of the box, that spells out trouble in my mind. It's either of poor quality, is defective or the music store you bought it from has no idea how to store and care for instruments. The other case would be if your music shop DOES know how to care for instruments and has a nice climate controlled room. . .and now you're at home in the heat and excessive humidity. In that case. . .go ahead and turn that sucker. If it was like that in the store, though, bring it back.

If the bass is used, or you put new (and heavier) strings on it, go ahead and turn it. No harm unless it's giving you a LOT of resistance. I always loosen a 1/4 turn before i tighten.

Final word is that it's generally OK to tighten it as long as it's not really resisting you. You could also have a friend hold the body of the bass on a flat surface while you GENTLY push the neck a little bit back to "help" the truss rod. I used to be very against doing this like this (actually it scared the hell out of me. . .and I STILL don't do it on guitars), but after watching Dan Erlewine do it, i'm confident it's not hurting the bass.

Like I said though. . .if it's brand new. . .bring it back and have it checked out first. You don't want to void the warranty.

-J
HWJLHC?

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Neck adjustment

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:22 pm

What Mingus said about returning it. You have not told us who made the bass? Make sure your tools are fitting exactly and just slowly turn it tighter until:

1. The neck straightens out to desired slight curvature for correct relief and you are ready to do your other adjustments.

2. The adjustor starts to feel too tight, like something is going to strip or snap off.

If 2 happens, slowly loosen the adjustor and remove it. It is possible that you simply ran out of thread on the truss rod. You may not be able to see this as the rod will retreat back into the neck when tension is released. Try taking the adjustor to the hardware store and getting a couple of washers that are the same size. Put the washers on the rod and then put the adjustor back on and try again. If you get to that uncomfortable too tight feeling place again before the neck is straight you have two choices.

1. Just keep going until you get what you want or break something.

2. Remove the neck (assuming it is a bolt on) and put it on the floorboards of your car in the back. Use it to beat people with. Get a new neck and try again.

I vote for going for it, the neck is useless if it cannot be straightened, unless you want to play slide bass!
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"