Need help with MXR 136

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Northamusi
audio school graduate

Need help with MXR 136

Post by Northamusi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I haven't been able to find a schematic for this and I'm hoping someone who has the unit can take a look inside and get some info for me. If you remove the top panel, with the front of the unit facing you, there are two large power supply capacitors on the right side. Can someone let me know the values of these caps?
thanks,
Steve

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:53 am

If you're willing to spend $20 for it, when you Google MXR 136, there's a feller sellin' a schematic for it in the first three or four listings.

Roger

Northamusi
audio school graduate

Still need help with MXR 136

Post by Northamusi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 pm

I tried the possible source for a schematic and apparently the guy is a flake so I am going to avoid ordering it from him

Here's is what appears to be the problem:
Channel 1 is fine. Channel 2 passes audio fine and compresses ONLY when the unit is in stereo. If I patch into the detector input on channel 2, I still get no compression , leading me to believe that the detector circuit has a problem. Or whatever device it is that performs the gain reduction is lunched. Any suggestion?
thanks in advance.
Steve

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Any suggestion?
1> Compare the first channel with the second...probe opamp outputs and whatnot until things deviate.

You've got a 2-channel oscilloscope, right?

2> Reverse engineer the schem, then post it to the web, thus bypassing mr flake.
Or whatever device it is that performs the gain reduction is lunched.
If it indeed compresses in stereo mode, then the gain control is working. Doublecheck the detector.