TapeOpCon...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:33 am

Can anyone relay what Joe Boyd had to say?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am

He told a lot of great stories a bout stuff he's done, most of which is in his book. He also played a bunch of stuff in which he's been involved. "Arnold Layne" sounded pretty spectacular on those ATCs. He also expressed sorrow over the "Dueling Banjos" lawsuit when I got my book signed after the interview.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

i agree with Joel for once [lol]

Post by supafuzz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am

Yeah It felt like i was attending my first and last tape-op con
bigger will probably not be better. It's like getting ice in your Pellegrino..why dilute it?
Do they need to make more $$??? or to not loose $$ .....possibly

I felt the family vibe certainly and that's what set it apart from AES etc.
The fact that you could be hanging out with people you respect and admire and have read about and they turn to you and say we're going to dinner why don't you join us? That was mindblowing and probably will disappear in a larger setting as demands on everyone's time and attention will increase possibly exponentially.

there were a few things that needed improvement but in the scheme of things are minor issues in relation to all the positives

the el harley
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:02 am

joel hamilton wrote: I felt like the announcement that the conference was moving back to new orleans, and would no longer be called tapeopcon, was incredibly depressing. .
If it isn't too much trouble, could someone tell the rest of us what the announcement actually entailed? Like: what'll it be called if not tapeopcon?

Thanks in advance; I'll hang up and listen for my answer.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:08 am

They're soliciting suggestions for a new name.

Basically, Craig said that they're moving the conference back to New Orleans for two primary reasons. One, because it's a great place to have the conference, and two, because they want to do what they can to reviatalize the city. They plan on having more music in more venues, perhaps ala South By Southwest, in addition to the conference. Removing it from a direct association from TapeOp will allow for the ability to advertise in other publications.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad, I'm just relaying the idea.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 am

By the way, Joe, we missed you this year!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:07 am

cgarges wrote:By the way, Joe, we missed you this year!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, I missed you guys. I wish I'd been able to attend. Perhaps next time. Let me know when you're in town for The Police though! (spare tickets welcome)

Thanks also for the clarification w/r/t the TOCon announcement.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 am

dwlb wrote:Let me know when you're in town for The Police though! (extra tickets welcome)
First week in July. I was planning on dropping you a line. I'll probably work out some type of TapeOp beer-related hang that week as well, so keep your eyes on the "Hookups" forum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:18 am

cgarges wrote:
dwlb wrote:Let me know when you're in town for The Police though! (extra tickets welcome)
First week in July. I was planning on dropping you a line. I'll probably work out some type of TapeOp beer-related hang that week as well, so keep your eyes on the "Hookups" forum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Excellent!

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Having just attended my first con, I hope it doesn't change too much as it was incredibly inspiring. I learned a bunch of stuff in every session, and had an overall great time. If it gets too big, I can imagine it won't be nearly as much fun, and perhaps less educational.

I can also see the value of being in a place like Tucson rather than NOLA, as the atmosphere can be distracting. I'll be happy to not be jet-lagged for the whole thing next year, but it will be less fun if the conference breaks out into the city at 5:00 every day. Although I wasn't in either of the groups, it was pretty cool watching the Japanese place down the street from the Hilton get invaded by two large groups of Tape Op people about 15 minutes after my wife and I got there.

However, I do agree with Craig's general sentiments regarding the situation in New Orleans, and I can understand the difficulty of attracting potential attendees and sponsors/exhibitors with the con attached to the magazine.

What am I saying? Tape Op Con was awesome and I hope it doesn't change too much.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:49 am

hey...next year give quintron a call...try to use the Spellcasters Lounge

http://www.quintronandmisspussycat.com/lodge.html

ooh..that's a fresh room..

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 am

Here are a few details as I know them, from having spent the week before the TOC helping Craig get ready; I got to be one of those annoying Nextel wearers whose phone would go off at an inappropriate moment and then hustle out of the room to deal with some damned thing or another.

I agree with Joel that the name change is a depressing development, but Larry and John feel their interest is in growing the magazine. There is no animosity there that I know of, just a realization of each of them playing to what they feel are their strengths. Craig has no interest at all in becoming a competitor to AES, SXSW, or any of the others; his dislike of the zoo atmosphere at SXSW is what launched the conference idea.

The economic reality is that paid attendee numbers have stayed about the same the last 3 years, and need to increase to make the conference more than a break-even event (which is what it now is, except for the fact that Craig does his work for free). The costs incurred are high, and as cool as the El Conquistador is, that expense is a back-breaker and should be more competitive in NO (an example: milk for the PB & J bar is $4 per 8 oz. glass). His hope is that involving some like-minded groups that tie-in to the base of recording geeks can grow it in a controlled way. The desire to keep the whole group together is held by everyone, and will figure in to the facility we end up using.

Tony's point about the attendees and panelists staying involved to help shape things is good too, and maybe the messageboard is a good place for that discussion to happen.

Supa makes another good point; the chance to be in a conversation or social setting with your peers and possibly your musical heroes is rare, and will also figure into how the events grows, so that we don't lose that element.

In the end, I hope everyone will give the new entity a fair chance, and have some faith that this is an evolutionary step instead of a revolutionary one. It's a great, unique event that has the chance to get even better.

Frank Lambrick

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:i'm glad you're going back to new orleans
There's a song in there somewhere! :lol:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 am

cgarges wrote:They're soliciting suggestions for a new name.

Basically, Craig said that they're moving the conference back to New Orleans for two primary reasons. One, because it's a great place to have the conference, and two, because they want to do what they can to reviatalize the city. They plan on having more music in more venues, perhaps ala South By Southwest, in addition to the conference. Removing it from a direct association from TapeOp will allow for the ability to advertise in other publications.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad, I'm just relaying the idea.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
SXSE? :lol:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 am

SXNO?

CG