cheap spdif options?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

cheap spdif options?

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:45 pm

I run a black lion modded delta 1010, and I am curious if there is any really cheap spdif preamps, or interfaces out there cause I would like the other two channels mainly for scratch guitars or something of the like, I really don't even care if it sounds good because it will never be used on any tracks I keep. If anyone knows of anything I'd be very happy!

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:50 pm

ART DI/O They dont make em anymore but its basicly a DI box with digital outs and a tube for some warmth.

The 1010 states you have to sync with the external clock if you want to use the spdif, I have used them and left the sync internal. It does lose sync now and again but I was sorta in the same boat, wanted to use those 2 channels during scratch takes.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:52 pm

oh nice, maybe I can find one of those on ebay on the cheap that sounds like it would work. thank you!

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Samson C-valve, a $80 hidden gem, basically perfect for exactly what you describe. Hook up another preamp to it and you can use both s/pdif channels with it's a/d.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:46 am

or, any cheap multi effect unit with spdif i/o will work for what you're needing this for.

Gorilla
gimme a little kick & snare

re

Post by Gorilla » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I would also look for digital mixers and mixer/hard disc recorders from the mid 90's on.

I have an old vs Roland hard disc recorder with the built in mixer. It doesn't have xlrs, but it does have spdif in and out, and I can use the 8 faders and pans for mixing in cubase (I'm sure you could with other daw software as well). I have 8 midi faders for less than the price of one presonus fader (not motorized though).

Roland, Yamaha, boss, fostex, and other still make these, but the ones that are about 10 years old can sometimes be found pretty cheap. You probably also want to check the converters, I know mine operates at 41 and 48 -- doesn't make much difference to me as I use it mainly for scratch tracks, but it may matter to you.
Gorilla

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Re: cheap spdif options?

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 am

xhavepatiencex wrote:I run a black lion modded delta 1010, and I am curious if there is any really cheap spdif preamps, or interfaces out there cause I would like the other two channels mainly for scratch guitars or something of the like, I really don't even care if it sounds good because it will never be used on any tracks I keep. If anyone knows of anything I'd be very happy!
How is that 1010 Mod?

Big change?
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:52 pm

dbx 386 isn't too bad. Got mine for around $250.

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Re: cheap spdif options?

Post by xhavepatiencex » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
xhavepatiencex wrote:I run a black lion modded delta 1010, and I am curious if there is any really cheap spdif preamps, or interfaces out there cause I would like the other two channels mainly for scratch guitars or something of the like, I really don't even care if it sounds good because it will never be used on any tracks I keep. If anyone knows of anything I'd be very happy!
How is that 1010 Mod?

Big change?
Yes it is a pretty big change, it sounds alot more open, bass is alot tighter, and while recording transients come through much much better. I am very happy with it.

I was looking at the samson c-valve I think that's what I will end up getting.