What Did You Work On Today? 6-24-07

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:28 am

Played a gig with these guys, drank too much, crashed on the couch.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:57 am

More Iowa Writers Workshop tape transfers. On the menu today: John Barth.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 am

Recorded a really cool "hard rock" (for lack of better words) band. Kind of remind me of a band called Thee Hypnotics. Anyone else ever hear of those guys? The band loved the playback, though we still need to lay down some guitar and vox. Drum sound was cool...going for a "Led Zeppelin" vibe per request. Really open - minimal close micing. But, man, I $#%!ed up the kick drum a bit and it's ticking me off. Hate it when that happens. The actual kick drum really didn't sound too good and I made a quick decision to save the time and get things moving by sticking a mic up front by the batter side to get some attack, without paying too much attention to detail. Workable but kinda wonky. I really, really wish we had set up my kick with nice heads on it. Can't believe I didn't think about this, considering it would have fit his existing hardware. Ahh, well - the overall sound is good. The drummer liked it. Guess that's good enough.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:44 pm

I finished up the editing and mixing on this live reggae disc I've been working on for far too long. Oh, and packed for my vacation that starts tomorrow.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Dammit Chris, you were in the triangle and didn't let me know? Punk.
Sorry, JJ! It came up kind of last minute and with all the other stuff I've been takling care of the last few days, I didn't really let anybody up there know. It was fun, though. That's a really nice ampitheatre.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

amyatt1
ass engineer

Post by amyatt1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:25 am

Recorded a vocal take for about 4 hours, then recorded some mandolin and ac. gtr, then back to the same original vocal take song for another 2 1/2 hours... :roll: 6 1/2 hours for a vocal take.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:47 am

heh. your vocals are my drums!

DefD
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DefD » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:21 pm

i spent sunday replacing bad cabling and doing search and destroy on a few annoying ground loops i'd never been able to get rid of before.
so glamorous was my success that i treated myself to a manicure and booze-up afterward!

today i am making a small fortune by babysitting a client's voiceover "talent" who doesn't seem to know how to talk into a damned mic.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Sunday was the last day of mixing a record for a killer band from Utah called Palomino. I recorded and co-produced the record and it turned out killer. Mixed at Studio Litho in Seattle. Got to use my new Transient Designer and all my other toys. I totally love my Shadow Hills compressor. It slays. I was up really late but it was worth it. I can't wait for this record to come out.

shawn