Best rotary effect pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Best rotary effect pedal

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm thinking of getting maybe the Boss one with two pedals, or the Line 6 Rotomachine. I don't really care how "authentic" they sound, I just want one that sounds really good. Anybody have one of these, or perhaps a different one that they like?

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

The Voce Spin II is amazing. A buddy has one.

I've never heard anything better, but I know it's pricey.

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:56 pm

A friend who is a frequent guitarist at sessions in my studio uses a Rotosphere, sounds great to me!
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 pm

I spent a lot of time online researching this. The first question is what's your budget? A 'good' leslie simulator is pretty pricey, univibe clones (except the Dunlop) start around $250 & go up the around $400 for the VoceII. The second question is digital or analog. The third question is do you want an actual leslie simulator or a univibe clone?
If you're going cheap, you can usually get a phaser or flanger pedal to sound pretty close.
In the digital world, the Voce II & the Korg G4 seem to have a lot of happy users. There's another company w/ a relatively new hybred simulator that mixes the digitally altered signal w/ the original analog signal, DLS maybe? A lot of people like those too.
In the analog world, the univibe clones seem to rule. The ones winning the highest praise are botique pedals, KR, MJM(?), Prescription electronics, sweet sound, etc. The Fulltone deja-vibe is always available on ebay, but a lot of people have luke-warm opinions about them.
I've got an old Multivox fullrotor that I like, & also an older Multivox LD2 (Little David) that I really love, but it's somewhat bulky & not pedal board worthy. After all my research I decided on a KR mega-vibe. I ordered it about 2 months ago. When I ordered it he said it would be 4-5 weeks. After six weeks I called him & he said he was buried in orders & would be about another week. That was two weeks ago.
There are many cheaper leslie simulators that sound okay for most users. It's kinda like mics, you can get one that sounds decent for not a whole lot, or one that sounds even better for more $$. Is the improvement in sound worth the extra dough? Only you can answer that.

hope that helps

jwp
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Maestro Rover!

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 pm

I have a Korg G4 and it's AWESOME!! But if I were you, I'd go with the Line 6, it's small and sounds KILLER!!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 pm

The Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe sounds pretty darn good. Optical circuit.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 pm

Another vote for the Voce.
It is the only one I have heard that actually sounds like it is rotating, rather than like a LFO and chorus type pedal. That is nice, also, but the voce sounds like it is rotating.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm

Are you set on a pedal? I bet you could get one of those Motion Sound horns used for less than a boutique pedal.

http://www.motion-sound.com/rotary_amps.htm

edit: I realize I'm getting off-topic. Sorry! On the cheap side, I have a DOD Vibro Thang that doesn't sound at all like a Leslie -- but a cool effect nonetheless.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Best rotary effect pedal

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:35 pm

inverseroom wrote:I'm thinking of getting maybe the Boss one with two pedals, or the Line 6 Rotomachine. I don't really care how "authentic" they sound, I just want one that sounds really good. Anybody have one of these, or perhaps a different one that they like?
Why not just use a StonZ phase with an EXT LFO and a BP filter using another LFO altogether. I do that all the time. DO you have an I/O module for your modular setup? I havent done a mix in ages WITHOUT something from my wall of modular stuff getting used... even if it is just the BBD module through an LPF, slightly LFO'd for a subtle chorus or something... on the voice or guitar. I often use my serge bannannalogue wave folder through the StonZ and a LPF on bass as well. Multiple CV ins on the doepfer lowpass after the other stuff... with the metalbox psycho LFO to modulate in non predictable ways coupled with a 2nd LFO for some "rotational" sine wave sweeping....

Wow, that contained almost no english whatsoever!

kevin_soda
studio intern

Post by kevin_soda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 pm

I've used both the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe and the BOSS RT-20. The Micro Vibe is like a Uni-Vibe kinda thing which is cool but not really a good leslie sim. I like the RT-20 the best for something on the "cheaper side." You can control the rise and fall times and you can set the bass and tweeter to rotate at different rates. Line6 I'm not that into but many people swear by their stuff and it always seems to sound pretty good. I'd really suggest getting whatever you can afford at first because if you don't have one already then it's gonna take you a bit to work it into your set up. I couldn't justify spending $250 on something that I only use for 30sec in one song unless it really made all the difference. Try whatever you can though and good luck.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:17 pm

Ensoniq DP-4/DP-2. Interface: ass. Sound: awesome. Not a pedal. Also, Ensoniq samplers. Same DSP. Sampler. Heavy as hell. Never dies (...completely). Interface: awesome!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:19 am

joel hamilton wrote:
inverseroom wrote:I'm thinking of getting maybe the Boss one with two pedals, or the Line 6 Rotomachine. I don't really care how "authentic" they sound, I just want one that sounds really good. Anybody have one of these, or perhaps a different one that they like?
Why not just use a StonZ phase with an EXT LFO and a BP filter using another LFO altogether. I do that all the time. DO you have an I/O module for your modular setup? I havent done a mix in ages WITHOUT something from my wall of modular stuff getting used... even if it is just the BBD module through an LPF, slightly LFO'd for a subtle chorus or something... on the voice or guitar. I often use my serge bannannalogue wave folder through the StonZ and a LPF on bass as well. Multiple CV ins on the doepfer lowpass after the other stuff... with the metalbox psycho LFO to modulate in non predictable ways coupled with a 2nd LFO for some "rotational" sine wave sweeping....

No problem, I speak that language!

You know what Joel, I built and installed the I/O and days later packed up all my gear to move. I JUST finished setting it up in the new studio, and I seriously need to try that. Believe it or not I haven't even tested the I/O yet. And I think you know I built a StonZ but I also have the Bananalogue wave thingy, which I LOVE. So I'm going to give that all a try next week.

As for Line 6 etc...I really, really like the Line 6 Reverb...best compact pedal reverb ever, IMHO. So I thought the Rotomachine might be as good. It's hard to go wrong for $119.

I would love one of those motion sound jobbers too though...gotta go see how much they run...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm

joel hamilton wrote:

"Excuse me, miss? I speak Modular".
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Good lawd, them Motion Sounds is expensive.