So, I'm building a small studio.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

So, I'm building a small studio.

Post by metaphormixer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm going to be buying gear little by little, probably over the next three years or so. I'm striving for something kind of spartan, but that will sound nice. I have a good space set up. Aside from basic things like cables, stands, headphones, et cetera, this is what I have on my to-get list so far:

Apogee Ensemble - $2000
Universal Audio 4110 - $3000
Waves IR-1 Parametric Convolution Reverb Native - $600
Apple Logic Pro - $1000
Apple Mac Pro Quad 3.0GHz Intel - $3500
Apple 20-inch Cinema Display - $800
Monster Cable PRO 3500 Rack PowerCenter - $300
Glyph GT 050Q 250GB Quad Interface Tabletop Hard Drive - $250

Microphones (I already have an AKG C451B and a Blue Bluebird):
Shure SM57 Mic - $100
Heil Sound PR-40 - $325
Mojave Audio MA-100 Stereo Pair - $1600
Mojave Audio MA-200 - $1000
M-Audio Sputnik - $700
Cascade Fathead - $160
Studio Projects C1 - $240

Monitors:
Blue Sky EXO 2.1 Studio Monitoring System - $350

Anyone want to give me any input? Microphone suggestions? Do you hate the 4110 or the Ensemble? If so, why? Are those monitors terrible? You know, that kind of thing...
Last edited by metaphormixer on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"all songwriters are links in a chain"

--pete seeger

my link: http://www.myspace.com/willstratton

roelando8
studio intern

Post by roelando8 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Forget the apple display and get a dell ..that will save ya about $400. Become religiously involved with your local craigslist and Ebay and you could save thousands easily.Just be careful. Take your time though, I have found that being patient has yielded some pretty sweet deals....unless you just have money to throw around, either way figure out what it is that you NEED, not just want, and get those things first. Good Luck

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm confused you say you already have this stuff but then you ask opinions on some equipment...just confused not trying to sound..accusational.

Please clarify and maybe we can offer some advice.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:25 pm

duly edited. i don't have any of this so far. when i said "this is what i have so far" i meant that this is the full list of things i plan on purchasing. sorry for the confusion.

--pete seeger

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Glyph GT 050Q 250GB Quad Interface Tabletop Hard Drive - $250
Get PPA (pacific pro audio) drives instead. Your going to need more than one drive too. You must have some sort of backing up system weather it be another drive or whatever but the important thing is that the backed up stuff remain off line.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm

metaphormixer wrote:duly edited. i don't have any of this so far. when i said "this is what i have so far" i meant that this is the full list of things i plan on purchasing. sorry for the confusion.
First off your going to get a lot of "have your tried this gear yourself" responses. So what have you tried on the list so far? Why are you thinking of getting the equipment you've listed? You can rent as well and try stuff out.

Are you going to be tracking live bands, just yourself? Mixing in the box?

Also hold out for deals, you'd be surprised what comes up on craigslist the day after you blow your load! And you can find most of the gear you mentioned for a bit cheaper i.e. the C1 for about $200.

I'd say let us know what your plans/goals are.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Have you treated your recording and mixing space yet? If not then you can add some more very well used money to that gear list. Sounds like you're off to a good start and I'll for sure add to the alredy mentioned suggestions of deal shopping. Much of my gear has come from evilbay and I've been lucky not to have had any trouble with it.

I'm kind of the opinion that unless you've already tested some of this equipment then get what you need to get out of the gates and learn how to use it to it's fullest capacity...Do some searches here about specific pieces and see if what people say about them are relating to your needs.

Good luck....Let us hear the results
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:12 pm

this will be mostly a studio for myself, but i will probably try my hand at producing some local bands and things. you can listen to the music on my myspace to see what my first album sounded like, although i'm not too sure how much that will tell you. i will be recording a martin 00-15, upright piano, various string, brass and wind instruments, vocals, metallophones and the like, and the occasional drumset. i will seldom be doing live tracking.

out of what i have listed, i have limited personal experience with the mojave mics, and the ensemble, and more extensive experience with the pr-40, the 57 (of course), and the C1. my main concern is getting the most longevity and best sounds out of my hardware and microphones while still being somewhat economical. i'm trying to spend some money on a couple high quality condensors, and getting some cheaper but still highly-regarded condensors, ribbons and dynamics for a larger palette (and so i can record drums more effectively). the reason i'm gravitating toward the UA 4110 is because of the multiple signal paths, and because i'd like 4 more colored preamps to put in the ensemble's a/d conversion slots, in order to contrast with the ensemble's more transparent ones. i suppose that's the item i'd be most likely to rent, a close second being the ensemble. i know that i'm overshooting with the prices on a bunch of these things; i will be looking for good used deals and so on, i'm just trying to save more than i need through some bizarre attempts at self deception.

oh and thank you for the monitor and hard drive suggestions, guys. very helpful.

--pete seeger

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:15 pm

i'm in the process of treating the room right now. i figured i might as well start out with a good sounding room. i haven't done anything with the mixing space yet, but i'll be doing research. thanks for the advice.

--pete seeger

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

small studio

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:43 pm

I would try to buy the timeless stuff first. Get the mics, preamp and monitors earlier in the game. I would rather have a couple of really nice mics than a few good ones for what you are doing. Ditto on the monitors, your computer will be long gone and you will still be smiling at the sound of good speakers. The computer and interface you mention will be obsolete in a very short time. Does not mean they are not useful, just that the price will go down and used ones will be around for much less than the latest and greatest. Digital always goes south pricewise, at some point you must jump in but waiting has it's rewards. Current stuff is so good that last year's model will be pretty awesome. Prices on used mics, etc. are pretty stable. Good mics will always be in style. That is what I did several years ago and I saved quite a bit of money and got better stuff. I still have lots of room for improvement though!!!
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:07 am

Did you win the lottery or receive an inheritance? :shock:

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:50 am

Apogee Ensemble - $2000
Universal Audio 4110 - $3000
Waves IR-1 Parametric Convolution Reverb Native - $600
Apple Logic Pro - $1000
Apple Mac Pro Quad 3.0GHz Intel - $3500

Just this bit adds up to ten grand. I don't know what kind of music you're doing, but if it was me I think I'd get a Radar instead of this stuff and call it a day. Way less hassle. But YMMV.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:42 pm

kayagum wrote:Did you win the lottery or receive an inheritance? :shock:
yes, actually. the second one. not quite enough for a complete studio, though, which is why i will be proceeding so cautiously.

honkyjonk, i've thought about going RADAR instead, but i don't know too much about the technology, and it looks like it'd end up being significantly more expensive. if that's not true, i'd love to be convinced otherwise.

--pete seeger

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:26 am

I saw a Radar on ebay last night for $3500. Looks pretty nice too, has the 24bit classic converters and TDIF cards. If I had the money I'd get it....