Portable Headphone-like stereo mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Portable Headphone-like stereo mics

Post by Tims96 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 pm

I'm starting to get really interested in "found sound" kind of stuff, and I want to start going out and just recording stuff as it happens. Problem is, I'm kind of self-conscious and would feel awkward holding one of those portable recorders looking real obvious.

I remember speaking to some guy who did sound design work, and he told me about these microphones that fit in your ears and look exactly like headphones. They can be hooked up to a mini-disk player or something like that. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 am

Binaural mics, yeah. Kind of expensive i believe.

I use a little clip-on stereo mic. As soon as i switched to a clip-on that fits on my collar i felt a lot less self-conscious than when i was holding a mic in my hand. I've been to a few countries with that mic clipped on my collar and a mini-disc recorder in my back pocket and few people have ever spotted the mic. I feed the cable under my shirt and into my back pocket.

The clip-on mic i have is a sony ECM-717, works nicely for getting ambient sounds, far less well for trying to isolate one particular sound.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

high five
gettin' sounds

Re: Portable Headphone-like stereo mics

Post by high five » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:48 pm

I know the feeling and hate walking around with cameras or microphones when I'm out in public. Check this out: http://members.nuvox.net/%7Ebob/my-mics.pdf