$400 to spend, 4 speakers to chose from.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

$400 to spend, 4 speakers to chose from.

Post by japmn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:00 pm

I thought I would have $1000 to spend but my scooter needs some work.

Tascam VLX5 (seem to get the most consistent good review)

Roland DS-30 A (I have only heard good things.)

M Audio BX5 A (I here very mixed opinions)

Those Fugly KRK 5' Roket speakers at Guitar Center (just cause I can afford them.)

Looks like Tascam but let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks

Jap

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:12 pm

I've got a pair of VL-X5's headed my way right now. I'm pretty far from a golden or developed ear, but I'll give them a tour-de-reference CD when they arrive and let you know my two cents.

If you do plan to go that route, be sure to check eBay... I got mine NIB from an authorized dealer (warranty!) for $229 plus shipping... the same dealer lists them for that on a pretty regular basis. I can send you the seller's name if you'd like to PM me.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:37 pm

I was just at a GC listening to monitors. The KRKs were alright. The new VLX sounded "better" than the Rokit series, thought I don't know if that's good. In the small, under 6", category the little Yamaha ones were excellent. The 4" KRK VLXs had a lot of low end but they kind of clouded everything up a bit. The Yamahas were really clear. There were some instruments on the CD that they were playing that I didn't even notice on the KRK but they jumped out on the Yamahas, in a good way. They didn't sound fun, but they definitely let me hear things the others didn't and were the most comfortable to listen to.

I have the M-Audio Studio Pro 4s on my workstation desk and I really like them. I always double check mixes on them and I am tempted to add a set to my recording rig. I use Alesis Monitor One as my monitors.

I did however hate the M-Audio BX-8. The midrange completely disappeared and it was just a scooped out mess.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I recently went to GC to buy some monitors (nobody else around the abq) and they were blowing out the KRK VX6 II and got them for $400 for the pair and they are great! I love these monitors so much more than the Alesis M1s I used to have. I also have a pair of the M-Audio BX5 (not a!) and they are pretty good too. The Bx5as are totally different.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 am

I've had my Tascams for about a month now and couldn't be happier with them. My mixes have been translating really well and they're very non-fatiguing to listen to. I was considering the Wharfedales in this price range as well but couldn't find a local dealer and didn't want to buy them without auditioning them.

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:54 am

Have a listen to the Tapco S5's also. I needed some cheapo speakers when one of my good monitors was in the shop and I had an out of town client booked. I compared them to the KRK's and a few others, much more detail and transparency than anything else I listened to.
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am

river wrote:Have a listen to the Tapco S5's also. I needed some cheapo speakers when one of my good monitors was in the shop and I had an out of town client booked. I compared them to the KRK's and a few others, much more detail and transparency than anything else I listened to.
I like those too. I'm thinking about getting a sub to go with them though.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 am

I have the KRK V4IIs and I really love them. Very true monitors to my ears. I listened to them and everything else at GC when I was shopping and they beat out anything in the price range regardless of size. Their imaging was far superior.

Now That KRK has released a new line, they are super cheap at most GCs. I say check them out.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:25 am

FWIW I've really been digging my JBL Control 1's since December. Outstanding translation on my mixes so far.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 am

KennyLusk wrote:FWIW I've really been digging my JBL Control 1's since December. Outstanding translation on my mixes so far.
Really? Those look suspiciously like Minimus 7's... :D

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:42 am

I just bought a pair of Control 1's for $99 at Best Buy. At that price I couldn't resist. I'm going to use them for a second tracking setup in my garage. They translate well, but wouldn't be my choice to mix on.

CA

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:54 am

anybody checked out the Yamaha hs50m? i LOVE my hs80ms and the little ones are pretty cool too. not much bottom on them but its only a 5" driver. i think they run like 150 each or something otherwise no experience on the other monitors you mentioned

but if anybody has a pair of minimus 77s i want them! i blew mine up when i console went down on me. it was spectacular but sad after the smoke cleared.

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:38 pm

I had the Rockit 5's for a long time and they are actually pretty good for the price. Very listenable speakers that won't fatigue your ears. I upgraded to a pair of V8's though a few months ago and love em...
what kind of scooter you got b.t.w.? I drive an '84 Honda Aero woot!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:32 pm

ladewd wrote:I just bought a pair of Control 1's for $99 at Best Buy. At that price I couldn't resist. I'm going to use them for a second tracking setup in my garage. They translate well, but wouldn't be my choice to mix on.

CA
Just out of curiosity, if they translate well, why wouldn't you mix on them?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:20 pm

thecheat wrote:anybody checked out the Yamaha hs50m? i LOVE my hs80ms and the little ones are pretty cool too. not much bottom on them but its only a 5" driver. i think they run like 150 each or something otherwise no experience on the other monitors you mentioned

but if anybody has a pair of minimus 77s i want them! i blew mine up when i console went down on me. it was spectacular but sad after the smoke cleared.

Chris
Those are the ones that I referred too ealier. I didn't remember the model number. They were the standouts of the small monitors.