mic placement in small space

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

mic placement in small space

Post by jmpace » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:50 pm

I record primarily in my bedroom where space is limited. At this point, due to the arrangement of my furniture the mics are up against a concrete block wall. I'm not liking this setup so much. In such a cramped space, where in the room is a good place for mics? I'm not referring to XY, etc. but to the actual location of mics in the room. Are they best against a wall (with diffusion behind it?), in the middle of the room etc. I'm up for rearranging my furniture to obtain optimal placement. This may not help a lot, but here is a picture of my space.

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Small room mic placement

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:01 pm

This is a completely un-scientific ritual you can perform if you want. Try playing your guitar and moving around in the room. It will sound different in various places. If you find a spot where you like the sound make a mental note of it. If you find a spot where you hate the sound make a note of that too. Try the same thing with your voice. The good and bad places might be where you want to set up to record. You may prefer the sound overall if you hang some draperies over the windows and deaden the room a bit. Also try using just one mic, add effects in the box if you want stereo. Some times it sounds good to mic the wall instead of the instrument, try that too. Even if you don't get the sound you think you want, try using what ever you end up with. Sometimes bad sound is good.
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:27 am

From looking at the photo, i would say first, as a way to maximize your work area, move the bed to the far wall and that'll open up the middle of the room for more work space. it'll also get the mics, etc away from the walls more, which could cause some strangeness sonically.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:18 am

Agreed, it's hard to have much flexibility with the bed in the middle of the room.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 am

your room looks impecibly kept, mind you.

a centralized mic would be ideal, theoretically. i'd start there.

i have a similar set up. recently i moved into a new house. i made a high-bed [a dorm-bed], which gave me a little more space to work in. you might want to consider it, that is if you don't mind sleeping in a bed that is suspended six feet off the floor. it cost me less than fifty bucks for supplies, and took me about two days to assemble. look up dorm-bed on google.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 am

I have a similar room set up (except a lot more messy, usually), but I find that when I've got my bed up against the wall to dullen the resonances a bit, it makes it easier to get better sounds that way... because I'm not dealing with reflections from ALL sides of the room...

Just a pain in the ass to get my bed up and down... but worth it usually.

Chris
I'm all about a little kick and snare

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 pm

One thing I have discovered working in small rooms is that you are generally better off with the null of the mic pattern being closer to a wall than the sound source (i.e. the rear of a cardioid microphone facing the nearest wall). Of course, it's hard to say without being there to hear what's really going on.

Small rooms can be tough - I think controlling the acoustics is the main thing. Using a combination of packing blankets draped over mic booms, a spare mattress against the wall, an area rug or two, and close mic placement, decent results can generally be obtained provided there is not much outside noise leaking into the room.

Best advice I can give: buy a few cheap tripod/boom mic stands and some used packing blankets.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Set your mattress up in a corner at a 45 degree angle, set your ldc in front of that and play towards the mattress.

You could try hanging your comforter across from the mattress to form another 45 degree angle behind you. Maybe tack up a thick blanket/comforter as a cloud above where your recording too. That will help to get rid of some of the funky reflections in the room.

Peace,

Andrew
Don't forget to breath.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 am

Just a touch more involved, but you might consider trading in the bed on a futon.

Also, I note that you need a lava lamp!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:50 am

+1 on the Lava Lamp
Don't forget to breath.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:11 am

vvv wrote:Just a touch more involved, but you might consider trading in the bed on a futon.
Lumbar Lou says: "No great vocal track is worth constant back pain!" :D
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Set your mic stand up against the bed and face the bed when you're tracking and place a piece of plyboard under your chair to gain some floor reflections and liven up the track. Just make sure your back is always facing the wall. The plyboard will enhance the rooms dynamics and give the illusion of a more spacious and reflective environment.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Update. Thanks to your suggestions, I moved the bed and desk. My room is also messier. I got a bookcase and angled it. I figured I could throw a bunch of unused clothes and blankets behind it to act as a bass trap. I think I have enough to fill the entire height of the bookcase. I'm also investing in a large rug. As you can see in the picture I will be recording to the area where the mic stands are. I'll probably hang blankets or something on the closet door too.

I also got a girlfriend.
Image[/b]

What are your thoughts on this? Are posters more absorbent, reflective or diffusers? Also, can too many blankets bed a bad thing?

cleantone
takin' a dinner break

Post by cleantone » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:16 pm

I can only chime in to to say one thing. MORE COOKIES!!!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:10 pm

cleantone wrote:I can only chime in to to say one thing. MORE COOKIES!!!
+1 :^:
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks