-Personal Crisis-

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:33 pm

(I would love to study polisci in chicago, but the only school there that I know of that seems to have a really good polisci department is UChicago, which is way, way too expensive). Furthermore, if I stay in Missouri to go to school, I may be able to go to free based on my grades and the Bright Flight program, since my ACT score is high.
Food for thought here.

If there is a chance for you to attend school for free and avoid having your parents going into dept, then I think you have to seriousely consider it.
Universities and colleges are so friggin expensive these days. Also, more important then which school you pick is what you put into it while your there where ever that may be.

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Tommy, do you work in the audio department at Columbia?

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:42 am

tommy wrote: If there is a chance for you to attend school for free and avoid having your parents going into dept, then I think you have to seriousely consider it.
Universities and colleges are so friggin expensive these days. Also, more important then which school you pick is what you put into it while your there where ever that may be.
Excellent advice. I work with a bunch of people who make more money than I do because they have two grad degrees and I have one. But, their student loan debts are more than double mine, so the extra couple thousand they make a year does not offset their larger loan payments.

The other thing to consider here is this: there's always grad school. You can go to school, get a four-year degree in something you're interested in. Along the way, you will most likely find things in which you didn't know you were interested. If you get through and the career prospects in your chosen field are not very good, there's always grad school. If you got your bachelors degree cheaply, you may be able to afford it.

My own story is that I got the four year degree in television and radio (concentration was audio prod) and found the career prospects not very good. So, I went to grad school, and got a job where I need the grad degree, but they really hired me because of my undergrad degree and my recording experience.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Tragibigzanda wrote:Also, if you were trying to create a balance between recording and a different college major, Portland, OR, would be a great place. Cost of living is dirt cheap (and that's if you're sharing a really nice house with a couple of people!), everyone you meet is a basement musician just waiting to have their stuff recorded, and the city is so liveable that you can easily pursue other interests as well. You could go to PSU, have excellent public transit to and from school, and in the meantime, record local bands in your basement with very little difficulty.

Plus, somehow, every single piece of gear you're trying to acquire will only cost you $50 in Portland, OR. I think it's some sort of law or something...
and there are a lot of cute girls there.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:55 pm

Hey man, friggin' kudos for having your s*** together. And for your 6 years in recording at 17 (I feel so inexperienced).

Sigh...
I'm all about a little kick and snare

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Tragibigzanda wrote: Plus, somehow, every single piece of gear you're trying to acquire will only cost you $50 in Portland, OR. I think it's some sort of law or something...
trodden wrote: and there are a lot of cute girls there.
I hear a road trip callin' my name.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
Tragibigzanda wrote: Plus, somehow, every single piece of gear you're trying to acquire will only cost you $50 in Portland, OR. I think it's some sort of law or something...
don't forget, wonderful food, for cheap, and a lot of strip clubs! (not really "cheap") and Portland in the summer is beautiful with all the gardens, flowers, and other cool hippy stuff.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 pm

trodden wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:
don't forget, wonderful food, for cheap, and a lot of strip clubs! (not really "cheap") and Portland in the summer is beautiful with all the gardens, flowers, and other cool hippy stuff.
Don't follow the song of the Siren-- you will go out to Portland, get stuck there in the winter, and not see the sun for 6 months, drink lots of burnt coffee, and get pissed off at all of the flaky hippies out there :wink:

Fac06
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Fac06 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:The fact that this whole line of thought is a reaction to something your father said should be a big RED FLAG. If this all made perfect sense to you would you be asking what to do on an internet forum? Go with your heart.
This is the best simplest advice- "go with your heart" I say definately go with your heart. If you have money poor times which most people do at one time or another no matter the field they work in, you will find a way to eat BUT NEVER do something because you think there is money in it or especially because others think that it is the right thing or the smart thing to do! I did so when I was younger and all it did was distract from what I really wanted to do and was trying to still do anyways which was play with bands...so that distracted me from school and we all know what that does to school work...... so always go with your HEART
"Let them be clay that in his hands he might mould them"
Walter Paisley

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:01 pm

If you really want to be an engineer more than anything, you can be successful despite the fact that there are fewer and fewer studios employing people each day. It's all about networking--find a few people who can help open doors for you. Ignore the peoople who say you can't do something and be persistent.

That said.....

If having a family, a relationship, lots of money are very important to you, don't get your hopes up.....I have met very few engineers who are wealthy or have 'locked up' relationships or much time for their kids.

It's all about choices....but I agree that listening for those little cues are important.

joser111482
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by joser111482 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 am

What will you regret not doing the second before the bus hits you?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 pm

joser111482 wrote:What will you regret not doing the second before the bus hits you?
taking a cab?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 pm

kayagum wrote:
trodden wrote: don't forget, wonderful food, for cheap, and a lot of strip clubs! (not really "cheap") and Portland in the summer is beautiful with all the gardens, flowers, and other cool hippy stuff.
Don't follow the song of the Siren-- you will go out to Portland, get stuck there in the winter, and not see the sun for 6 months, drink lots of burnt coffee, and get pissed off at all of the flaky hippies out there :wink:
Well, I lived in Asheville, NC for 4 1/2 yrs, so your advice is business as usual! :D

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:51 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
kayagum wrote:
trodden wrote: don't forget, wonderful food, for cheap, and a lot of strip clubs! (not really "cheap") and Portland in the summer is beautiful with all the gardens, flowers, and other cool hippy stuff.
Well, I lived in Asheville, NC for 4 1/2 yrs, so your advice is business as usual! :D
i played in asheville NC on tour in 2003. my god, beautiful city, beautiful girls, awesome food.. and i got so incredibly fucked up and woke up COVERED with sharpie marker... EVERYWHERE.. my pants were off at one point in the night.