Wow, check out the 'new' REAPER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:35 pm

b3groover wrote: For the record, I use Cubase, which not only sounds great and is very flexable but looks really good, too. It is laid out logically and is clean and uncluttered.
There's personal taste for ya. I think Cubase is a cluttered abomination.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Reaper is very cool and so is the developer(s). I agree the routing in Reaper is far ahead of other DAWs. Unfortunately, MIDI is at best an afterthought and that is important for me.

I'm probably just stuck in Cubase because it took me so long to learn it; who wants to switch? But I also truely enjoy working with Cubase and see no reason to switch right now. It has been very stable for me.

Honestly though, which looks better? THIS or THIS?

But whatever works, man. Just make music!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

pipelineaudio
audio school graduate

Post by pipelineaudio » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:42 pm

b3groover wrote:Unfortunately, MIDI is at best an afterthought and that is important for me.
Thank you kindly for that quote!

Its true, REAPER was made by guys who were sick of audio being an afterthought on top of a midi sequencer

REAPER's MIDI will get better though, Im betting in 1/100th of the time it takes the borg to fix just one ten year old bug

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 am

b3groover wrote:Reaper is very cool and so is the developer(s). I agree the routing in Reaper is far ahead of other DAWs. Unfortunately, MIDI is at best an afterthought and that is important for me.

I'm probably just stuck in Cubase because it took me so long to learn it; who wants to switch? But I also truely enjoy working with Cubase and see no reason to switch right now. It has been very stable for me.

THIS

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:16 am

As soon as the full Mac build is ready, I'm dropping Logic like a bad habit.

...wait, it is a bad habit!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:44 am

My DAW can beat up your DAW.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:14 pm

that's the old reap look

I'll take this -- it's just as good if not better than cubendo (and I like cubendo)

http://www.tamea.org/m1/m1_screen.jpg

But, yeah, make music either way.

But do it faster with Reap ;)

b3groover wrote:Reaper is very cool and so is the developer(s). I agree the routing in Reaper is far ahead of other DAWs. Unfortunately, MIDI is at best an afterthought and that is important for me.

http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:16 pm

formzero wrote:

THIS
The last time I saw Saw Studio, it looked like a cartoonish, psychedelic, bad-trip freak out... This actually looks good and usable to me...

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm

wedge wrote:
formzero wrote:

THIS
The last time I saw Saw Studio, it looked like a cartoonish, psychedelic, bad-trip freak out... This actually looks good and usable to me...
I wish reap had Saw's sound file view. That's one thing it is missing that I find curious.

I haven't looked at SAW in quite a few years. I remember it looking like wood-sided station wagon covered in graffiti

pipelineaudio
audio school graduate

Post by pipelineaudio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:42 pm

What would the sound file view do? How do you use it, and is the workaround in reaper from not having it slowing you down? Can you show some pictures of it or explain how you would use it in a session?

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I was quite happy with ProTools at one time... Then I tried Reaper.... Well I wasn't blown away right at the beginning, but the more I tried it the more I liked it. Originally I was just going to use Reaper for mixing (since ProTools LE doesn't have delay compensation and has all the other limitations), but the more I use Reaper, the more I like it. At $40 for a personal license its a steal!

Im currently using this skin:

THIS

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:40 pm

pipelineaudio wrote:What would the sound file view do? How do you use it, and is the workaround in reaper from not having it slowing you down? Can you show some pictures of it or explain how you would use it in a session?
Yeah, good point. Actually, I would use it infrequently in cubendo for repairing the odd over every now and then, redrawing a wave.... I guess it just seems odd not to have one. However, with that being said, I can't say I really "miss" it in reaper. But the workaround (the way I have it set up is to open another program to deal with the file) seems weird -- the last one I tried was wavosaur or something like that...it isn't functioning properly. It's probably just me being used to my years of working with one set of features and learning to work another way. I still think it would be cool to have it as to not have it.

See page 9 of this document...you'll see a couple of images of their wave editor.
http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/prod ... studio.pdf

It seems like a simple thing to have and I know many people have wondered why there isn't one in reaper.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm

There's a lot of things that're really sweet about that skin, imho... the hyper-3d buttons and fader knobs are great, fer instance, but the audio itself is kinda dull looking, and the icons in the upper left just don't quite hack it for me... It's pretty cool as is, tho... I'd use it...

Damn, I wish ProTools had skinability... I'm sick to death of that same old blah interface...

pipelineaudio
audio school graduate

Post by pipelineaudio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 pm

kronosonic wrote:
See page 9 of this document...you'll see a couple of images of their wave editor.
http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/prod ... studio.pdf

It seems like a simple thing to have and I know many people have wondered why there isn't one in reaper.
Ahhh a wave editor..I get it. A lot of us came from vegas and liked to use soundforge for that, While others came from Cubendo and liked to use wavelab for that...none of us coming from two totally different backgrounds like that can agree on the 2 track editor's feature set, so Justin made it so you could open up whatever editor you want...2 of them in fact. I've got Soundforge and REAPER in mine (yeah it sounds weird but you can open an item into another instance of reaper and destructivate it there...then I have sound forge if I need pencil tools.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm

I love the way they put exclamation points at the end of every sentence in that pdf! It makes everything seem so great! So stupendously excellent! Nothing like it!