anyone still using digital fishphones plugs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 pm

yes! i use SPITFISH all the time for d-essing. like it WAY better than expensive waves d-essers..... blockfish rules on drum room! floorfish is cool too - like it on snare and toms. seems to kill low end on kick for me.

i love free plug ins!
the new rules : there are no rules

jegler
pluggin' in mics

I heart Blockfish

Post by jegler » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 am

I use Blockfish alot on lead vocals and the side fill mic of the drums. What an awesome set of free plugs!!!!!! I'm fixin to try spitfish on the vox as per the recommendations of some forum posters.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:09 am

Yes, after CEP's built-ins, they are some of my fave plugs.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:10 pm

I use blockfish all the time in DP4.5

But I've got a proble where my setting aren't being saved when i re-open projects later.

anyone else have this issue??

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm

I've been using THD recently on my finished mixes vary sparingly just to dirty them up a tiny bit. It sounds far more "analogue" than any other VST tape/tube emulation plugs that I've tried.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm

I like to run two, and maybe even three (NOTE: if I'm daring) instances of spitfish on vocals, all tuned to different frequencies and all just barely de-essing. I like that de-esser more than I did the UAD-1 88RS plugin de-esser.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:18 pm

I have two LA-2a type compressors and if I'm mixing in the box or I didn't track with one of the tube units I slap a Blockfish on there and most of the time it does the job perfectly. It's not worth the time and DA/AD conversion to pull a realtime unit into the mix.

Yeah Fish Fillets!
not to worry, just keep tracking....

electric sound of jim
ass engineer

Post by electric sound of jim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:29 pm

I like spitfish a lot - after not getting good enough results from the digi or waves renaissance deessers i gave spitfish a go for the hell of it and was very impressed.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:57 am

I love spitfish and blockfish - dominion seems a little buggy, it makes a crackle or loud pop now and then.

In many ways the Samplitude fx just kill the Fillets, but Block and Spit especially are so quick to get good sounds that I use them a lot.

The Samplitude fx are each individually like a whole sound-shaping chain of plugins that all sound great and work really well together. I personally really enjoy the sounds that I've gotten on DI guitar through Am-Phibia, enough that I used it in so many places on my last album that I had to buy it (the demos of these plugins are fully functional, non-expiring, demo-screen pops up at the beginning, can't-save-or-automate, 44khz only, and if you can live with that you could just use them forever, as far as I understand).

Am-Pulse just blows me away. I haven't compared it to any transient designers but dominion, though, but it can SERIOUSLY mess things up.

There's a new version of Samplitude coming out with yet another new Sascha Eversmeier plug. Very exciting.

Overall, I would say that these should be in a category with the UAD plugs as very useful, great sounding, anti-digititus effects that will be remembered fondly 20 years from now. Except these have no dongle.

b

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:06 pm

On our last record, I used Blockfish on the bass tracks and Endorphin on a 57 room mic to squash the hell out of the drums. :hearts:
**At home he's a tourist.**

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:21 pm

I love blockfish on vocals! And although I rarely use a gate, I remember floorfish being really good at it last time i used it!

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:36 am

OK, got the new MacBook -- nice machine. First disappointment was it ran Tracktion 2 WORSE than my G3 iBook. I was told to not expect a giant improvement, but wow. Anyway, after downloading Tracktion 3 ($70), I was all good.

Except, of course, no Blockfish.

I've got my eye on the URS stuff. Any thoughts on those?

Any other free/cheap VST that are universal binary?

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:51 am

Re: Macbook --

Camel Crusher is plenty heavy and works on Intel and is free. It's fun but not as useful as Blockfish imo.

...and alas ... nothing like Blockfish. I really wish Sasha would develop a universal binary version as again, it's a relatively large reason I'm keeping my G5. Someone steal the code and updates these plugs!!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 am

mjau wrote:I like to run two, and maybe even three (NOTE: if I'm daring) instances of spitfish on vocals, all tuned to different frequencies and all just barely de-essing.
+1

I wound up doing that quite a bit when I mixed my last cd.

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:40 am

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:SpitFish is my "go to" de-esser.

Don't get me wrong - I hate using de-essers at this stage. But out of all the de-essers I've tried, SpitFish was the least obnoxious and the most controlled of the bunch.
Same here! (although I just got a dbx Quantum as an option for this also). In fact I think using Spitfish is a number of ME's "dirty little secret" as they tend to not to like to let people know that they actually use a freeware plugin for de-essing once in a while!

I really like Blockfish as a comp for kick drum on the rare occasion that I do in-the-box mixing - and Floorfish has helped me out a lot when I was editing a voice over track that had been recorded in a noisy environment for an instructional CD.

Otherwise I've never found any good use for Endorphin or Dominion - but obviously OMMV.

Best regards,
Steve Berson