REAPER - Windows DAW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

REAPER - Windows DAW

Post by foxystoat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:13 pm

I searched and found that nobody's posted about this. Hopefully it will come to some peoples attention and prove useful. REAPER was created and coded by Justin Frankel, the creator of Winamp.

REAPER

REAPER is a powerful but sensible Windows application designed for the recording, arrangement, editing, mixing and rendering of audio. REAPER provides a flexible but easy to use interface that is equally suited to amateurs and professionals alike.

Some key benefits of REAPER are:
  • Extremely small footprint (full featured, with an installer that is approximately 1MB)
    Easy to start using: simply drag and drop one of many kinds of files in to edit existing material, or insert a track and arm it for recording. No complex project or definitions to set up.
    Fast and powerful editing facilities: split, resize, fade/crossfade, pitch shift, timestretch, copy/paste and loop media items with ease. Ripple editing is available, too.
    Unrivaled routing capabilities: send tracks to any number of other tracks or hardware outputs, with lots of options (pre-fx, post-fx, independent faders, mono or stereo). Not interested in advanced routing? You don't have to use it (and it certainly won't get in the way.)
    Powerful recording options (supports pre-fx, post-fx recording, can record mixed output of multiple tracks, etc), supports switching record inputs/modes on the fly, input monitoring options (including tape-style auto input monitoring mode), supports auto-punch-in/punch-out, and more. If you want. Otherwise, it just behaves as you would expect.
    Support for MIDI files, recording MIDI, and VSTi/DXi softsynths. MIDI can be integrated and mixed with audio.
    User arrangeable user interface with color themes: make REAPER look how you want it to look, and arrange (or hide) elements of the user interface to suit your needs.
    Support for consolidating track edits and rendering track stems, to enable easy export for other applications.
    Includes many Jesusonic effects, and supports many plug-ins (including VST and DX plug-ins) with full plug-in delay compensation.
Regards,
Benjamin W.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:36 am

Yeah, REAPER rawks!

It's amazing the functionality built into this program that has a 1 Megabyte download size!
It must be coded in assembly language or something, avoiding all the bloat that comes with using C++ and Microsoft developer APIs...

It's still maturing, and will need some more bells, whistles and doodads added to compete with current commercial DAWs, but hold a lot of promise.

Oh, yeah, and being FREE doesn't hurt, either. (At least, the current Beta test downloads are free)
________
POPSTOCKS
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

REAPER is a cool program!

Post by eh91311 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:55 pm

I used REAPER recently to transfer a bunch of 1/4" 8 track and 1/2" 16 track projects to the computer. Program worked great, the transferred tracks sound terrific.

REAPER does not accept all "freeware" VST plugins, those that it doesn't agree with will crash the program. It is very simple to use, even for someone who does not have much experience recording to the computer (like me). CPU usage is low, and you don't have to have a state-of-the-art computer to run it. My AMD Duron 1300 PC put-together with 512mb PC2100 DDR memory ran just fine with it, admittedly not using a whole bunch of tracks (12-16 max).

When the designer starts charging $, I'll continue to use it. Programs like this just confirm that you don't have to be a slave to Digidesign to make good-sounding recordings on the computer...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am

Kristal Audio Engine is nice too...and I have been extolling the virtues of energyXT in another thread. Though that one costs a bit of dough.

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Post by foxystoat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:51 pm

Thought I would bump this because version 0.964 was released yesterday adding (among other things):
  • Full multichannel/sidechain support.
    Multi-out VSTi support.
    Bundled comp/gate/EQ.
A convolution plugin is also being developed:
ReaVerb will be a convolution based reverb, and will offer support for loading of impulses from files, as well as generating impulses from parameters, and combining and modifying any of those impulses.. I'm thinking of it like an AVS for convolution.
I'm aware that Windows users already have SIR, but I can't wait to see what Justin comes up with. Sounds like it'll be similar to Voxengo's Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver.

Regards,
Benjamin W.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 pm

I don't have much experience with other DAWs but so far I love this program.
Bumping because V2.0beta13 is out.
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12381

Justin updates this program sometime 2-3 times per week!
And not just bug fixes, actual system enhancements!
Truly impressive.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:32 pm

I kinda gave up on energyXT...XT2 is proceeding very slowly in the audio recording area, and I ended up getting hooked on Tracktion.

It definitely seems like Reaper is really cookin' now.

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Yeah...
I think im gonna buy it just to show development support...
guess what it does...????
SIDECHAINING!!!!
The routing options are really flexible and cool too.

Im looking forward to its maturing a bit more though...
No way I can force a switch from Cubase yet.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: REAPER - Windows DAW

Post by kayagum » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:23 pm

foxystoat wrote:I searched and found that nobody's posted about this.
Doubtful (that you searched). :D

Search found 71 matches.

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm sure he searched, in 2006. :wink:

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 pm

has the mac version been released yet? I'm currently using Live on a 1.67 powerbook and it's killing my cpu. I need higher track counts than i'm getting with Live and the windows version I downloaded seemed very capable. Rand

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:33 pm

ledogboy wrote:I'm sure he searched, in 2006. :wink:
Whoa. :shock:

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Yes, Reaper becomes more and more impressive with every update.

The routing is pretty amazing. There are definitely some things that could make it an easier change for cubase and protools users but so far the price is right and the support is impeccable.
Don't forget to breath.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:51 pm

philbo wrote:Yeah, REAPER rawks!
It's amazing the functionality built into this program that has a 1 Megabyte download size!
(I know I'm quoting from a year-old post, but seeing as this thread has been continued...)

I was stunned. I've wondered just how flabby most "commercial" code is these days, and this gave me a jolt.
(I believe the Reaper DL has now burgeoned to a whopping 2 meg though :-) ).

Immagine if an OS was super lean, how fast our machines would feel.

I tried the reaper os-x version, it's early days, but it's very cool, I'm watching with anticipation...

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Post by foxystoat » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:40 pm

kayagum wrote:
ledogboy wrote:I'm sure he searched, in 2006. :wink:
Whoa. :shock:
Yes, I did the search in '06, before I submitted the initial post. I was surprised nobody else had mentioned REAPER and decided I'd do so.

I'm glad to see people commenting a year later. It's a great application and Justin is a model example of a good developer/programmer/general human being. It's worth researching at least a little bit his history:

Wikipedia

Maybe we could petition him to code REAPER in assembly or machine code for version 3.0?

Regards,
Benjamin W.