Predict the next trend in recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:38 am

mjau wrote:My guess is the next trend will be drums-only studios geared toward home-recordists. A studio with, say, a dozen kits set up and mic'ed, with a studio drummer or two for hire. Get in, get out, take your drum tracks with you and do the rest at home.
I've been wishing this for a while, actually. Doesn't have to be just drummers, either.

I wish songwriters like myself could hire, at some kind of affordable covers-everything rate ($1,000-$1,500 for a weekend?) a studio with decent pres and outboard gear, a live room, a good house engineer, and a good studio band.

Not necessarily a setup with all the gear and rooms a Class A studio has, but a space that sounds great in the hands of the right trackers and players.

Like hiring Stax with the MGs, or the Black Ark with Lee Perry to mix and the Upsetters to play.

---
+1 on the musicianship thing, but dream on.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:08 pm

percussion boy wrote:
mjau wrote:My guess is the next trend will be drums-only studios geared toward home-recordists. A studio with, say, a dozen kits set up and mic'ed, with a studio drummer or two for hire. Get in, get out, take your drum tracks with you and do the rest at home.
I've been wishing this for a while, actually. Doesn't have to be just drummers, either.

I wish songwriters like myself could hire, at some kind of affordable covers-everything rate ($1,000-$1,500 for a weekend?) a studio with decent pres and outboard gear, a live room, a good house engineer, and a good studio band.

Not necessarily a setup with all the gear and rooms a Class A studio has, but a space that sounds great in the hands of the right trackers and players.

Like hiring Stax with the MGs, or the Black Ark with Lee Perry to mix and the Upsetters to play.

---
+1 on the musicianship thing, but dream on.
I watched a PBS special about Stax about a month ago. I've been thinking about if that (and/or Motown) type business model would work. I'd love to do it.

I have decided to start offering drum tracks on a per song basis. if that works out I may try to start adding rhythm section tracks as well.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:45 pm

drumsound wrote:I watched a PBS special about Stax about a month ago. I've been thinking about if that (and/or Motown) type business model would work. I'd love to do it.

I have decided to start offering drum tracks on a per song basis. if that works out I may try to start adding rhythm section tracks as well.
It seems like for it to work steadily, you'd need to be hooked up with a community of local musicians playing in a genre that needs a good live rhythm section. I don't personally like current country music much, but that would be one example. Self-contained tribes like rappers with producers, or rock bands, would of course be useless to your enterprise.

Another angle on all this, getting back to Stax/Motown/Black Ark, would be to also be one of your one customers -- having the house band put out its own stuff with singers and writers of your choice. The question here would be having a listener market to sell the finished product to -- again, a question of finding the right stylistic niche.
-----
PM me if you want to kick this around further. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work.

All I can say is, if such a setup existed in Cali, I'd start saving to use it. I sure miss being around funky, flexible musicians -- back to the "decrease in musicianship" issue, I guess.

[edited several times for clarity's sake]
Last edited by percussion boy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:47 pm

kayagum wrote:I wish there was a backlash against DAW microediting, and one take recordings become a badge of honor again.
True, I like to actually keep some "Mistakes" in these days.

For me, I'd like to hear less "section-sampling", and have some bigger sample-based artists get of thier arses and write their own stuff.

I fear, in reality though, an extension of the eq-capture software systems.
Totally automatic mixing.
i.e. I think you'll be able to apply "signature" mix templates.
Run each take through a plugin analyser/processor, and have it apply an instrument/Sub-group dependant, adaptive, pre-selected compression, tuning, eq,
colouration and reverb all in one go.
This would happen to all channels/buses and the processor would set it's mix-bus level and pan-position: leave those faders at 0.
Don't like the mix? Hit one button, and load another template into all the plugs. There are 4000+ to download...
At the tracking stage, a mic'ing wizard would also ask you if you don't think the mic is a little too-close to the singer, as it has detected some plosives, or the KMM-118X (that's the one that models all the KM series mics) mic is getting a little too much boom from the sound-hole on the acoustic. Don't worry about the room sound - it will perform a reverse-convolution to cancel it and place it in a template dependant studio room once you've fired the included impulse-generator-gun from the same position of the source instrument.

(C) 2007, Hyper-mix TM.

We're all dooooomed. LOL

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Just for the record:

Drums-only studios, copyright 2007 by mjau

Laughing all the way to the bank, suckaz!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:53 pm

Recording straight to IC.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:04 pm

That Korg 1-bit hype/snazziness will probably start showing up in software pretty soon. Then all this 24/96 stuff will be "worthless".

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Post by Phil Owl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:29 pm

kayagum wrote:I wish there was a backlash against DAW microediting, and one take recordings become a badge of honor again.

That's why I like listening to in studio performances on radio stations, and I'm glad they stream them online.
Amen Brutha!!!!

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:07 pm

web-based DAW software?

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:09 pm

percussion boy wrote:
drumsound wrote:I watched a PBS special about Stax about a month ago. I've been thinking about if that (and/or Motown) type business model would work. I'd love to do it.

It seems like for it to work steadily, you'd need to be hooked up with a community of local musicians playing in a genre that needs a good live rhythm section.
Why does it have to be local?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 pm

My thing with the drum tracks does not need to be local at all.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Phil Owl wrote:

That's why I like listening to in studio performances on radio stations, and I'm glad they stream them online.
Amen Brutha!!!!
don't know if you're paying attention to yourselves, but there already is a backlash against DAW microediting.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:47 pm

Vogon wrote:
True, I like to actually keep some "Mistakes" in these days.

For me, I'd like to hear less "section-sampling", and have some bigger sample-based artists get of thier arses and write their own stuff.

I fear, in reality though, an extension of the eq-capture software systems.
Totally automatic mixing.
i.e. I think you'll be able to apply "signature" mix templates.
Run each take through a plugin analyser/processor, and have it apply an instrument/Sub-group dependant, adaptive, pre-selected compression, tuning, eq,
colouration and reverb all in one go.
This would happen to all channels/buses and the processor would set it's mix-bus level and pan-position: leave those faders at 0.
Don't like the mix? Hit one button, and load another template into all the plugs. There are 4000+ to download...
At the tracking stage, a mic'ing wizard would also ask you if you don't think the mic is a little too-close to the singer, as it has detected some plosives, or the KMM-118X (that's the one that models all the KM series mics) mic is getting a little too much boom from the sound-hole on the acoustic. Don't worry about the room sound - it will perform a reverse-convolution to cancel it and place it in a template dependant studio room once you've fired the included impulse-generator-gun from the same position of the source instrument.

(C) 2007, Hyper-mix TM.

We're all dooooomed. LOL
That doesn't sound too crazy. :shock: :shock:
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:01 am

Live to stereo 2"

bewarethanatos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bewarethanatos » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 am

stevedood wrote:web-based DAW software?
Guitar.com was working on something like this. I don't know if they ever succeeded.

I too wish micro-editing would go away. I mean, I'll move a bass or guitar or vocal around so that it hits with the drums if it's supposed to, but I hate zooming in as far as I can just to make sure something is perfectly aligned. Doesn't strike me as a very musical way to mix. Maybe it's because I'm new at this.

Has the "less compression" trend started yet? Or is the "over-compression" trend not going away at all?