Logic Pro 8... it is here.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rfbutter
gettin' sounds

Post by rfbutter » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:26 pm

wes wrote:
xusr wrote:Anyone using Logic 8 on an original MacBook with only 1 gig of ram?
I'm using 8 on a non-intel ibook 1.42 GHZ with 2 GB of RAM and it ain't pretty (recording to an external firewire PPA drive). I literally have a couple organ audio instruments open, space designer and a compressor on the bus, and everything is working like it is in slow motion (I don't even have any audio playing, just those two midi tracks and the plug-ins). Logic stalls then stops often with a precessor overload error.

Doesn't that seem ridiculous or is it about what you'd expect from an older non-intel machine? I'm worried my ibook is messed up because I didn't think the performance would be so awful.
Damn, I've been on the verge of dumping Pro Tools and switching to Logic. I'm running a Powerbook w/ 1.5Ghz and 1GB. Would Logic Express 8 tax the system as much as Pro?
no war for heavy metal!

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:04 am

Express shouldn't be quite as hungry as Pro; Apple strongly recommends 2GB RAM for Pro, but doesn't mention anything above 1 GB for Express.

So...you should be ok, but keep in mind that those system requirements are minimums.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:13 am

In my limited experience Logic and Nuendo never use more than 70% the power Pro Tools uses for a session with the same trackcount, bit depth, sample rate, and amount of plugins.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah , I have had it under my fingers for 6 weeks now. I really like it.The new features and work flow is much better than Pro 7. I have not seen many problems with it,other than finally getting my Mackie Universal Control Pro working.After the upgrade to the Apogee Drivers it runs great.
??Audio editing is much better now. Still I would have to say that I had to do a bunch live drum editing I would choose Pro Tools for this. Logic still has not made it half as easy as Pro Tools to Edit. Now with Pro Tools 7.4 Elastic Audio it raised the bar again.
?? I use logic for mixing out across the board.I like how Logic sounds much better than Pro Tools.

System:
Quad Core Intel 2.6 Ghz
16 gigs of ram
Apogee Symphony
2 X Apogee 16x-DA
UAD - Extreme Pack
Neve 5316 24x4x2
Amek Side car 24x2

-Collin