ShinyBox 500 series EQ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

ShinyBox 500 series EQ

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:14 am

joel hamilton wrote:Jon from ShinyBox was also showing a HP/LP box for the 500 series racks that looked AWESOME, and it isnt a billion dollars... like around 500 dollars for a totally killer set of filters. Maybe he could explain them a bit more as well here, for those that did not get to go to AES...
Just stumbled across your comment Joel (have been heads down playing catchup since the show)

So here's the deal. The EQ I'm working on has a high pass filter, and a low pass filter. There are 32 frequencies per band, with bypass for each filter, and a hardwire bypass for the whole module.

here's the picture I snapped before the show. I'm hunting for some different knobs, but it will give you the gist of it =):

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:32 am

Looks very nice! I've been hoping someone would take on building this kind of module for some time.

Are those all LEDs? Do they indicate the frequency selected, or purely decorative?

Leigh

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:10 pm

In this prototype, I didn't have the frequencies labelled, but yes, those are led's, and as you rotate the knob, they will show you exactly what frequency you have selected.

So 16 led's give you frequencies between 15-140 hz on the high pass, for example. When you roll off the top of 140, the led will go back to 15, only now the x10 light will come on, indicating that 15 is now 150, all the way up to 1.4K.

Same function on the low pass filter, I'm planning the range for roughly 32k to 2.5k presently.

Regards

ju

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Looks awesome, can't wait to check it out.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:07 pm

So what's the filter topology? How many poles?

And where are the shots of the guts? I wanna know of there's a PIC in there 8)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:17 pm

fum wrote:In this prototype, I didn't have the frequencies labelled, but yes, those are led's, and as you rotate the knob, they will show you exactly what frequency you have selected.

So 16 led's give you frequencies between 15-140 hz on the high pass, for example. When you roll off the top of 140, the led will go back to 15, only now the x10 light will come on, indicating that 15 is now 150, all the way up to 1.4K.

Same function on the low pass filter, I'm planning the range for roughly 32k to 2.5k presently.

Regards

ju
It really looked awesome with the LED's all lit up in "real life" at AES.
I really hope you are thinking about the stuff we talked about at your booth, man. I would love to see some stuff come out like that... like the modular thingy we talked about. Wanna do a set of autograph models? ;)

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:15 pm

The Scum wrote:So what's the filter topology? How many poles?

And where are the shots of the guts? I wanna know of there's a PIC in there 8)
Heh. The filter is a 12dB/octave Butterworth type filter, using the same discrete opamp that I'm using in my mic pre.

yes, there's a PIC, but the signal path is all analog. I'm keen on the digital control of analog signals approach.

Joel, you'll have to summarize the finer points of our discussion in an email perhaps. I spent four days talking nonstop with people, by the end, I was pretty much a form of liquid goo. :shock:

ju

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm

PM sent to you about the ideas I was hurling at you.
I am seriously looking for someone to develop a super cool bunch of 500 modules I have been thinking about... stuff nobody has done in the pro audio world.

Your stuff is looking great, man!

Talk soon.