good fender all tube bass amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Beneficial
pushin' record

good fender all tube bass amp

Post by Beneficial » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:43 am

Hi, I'm looking for an all tube fender bass amp that I can use strictly for recording (doesn't need to be insanely loud) for bass as well as keyboards. Based on searching online I was looking at some old Fender bassman 10's but I don't think I need that much power, or four speakers. Does anyone know of a smaller amp that has similar qualities? I'd like something with two inputs if possible... even if it only had one speaker.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:32 am

how about a head/cab? Look around using the 'search' feature. A similar topic was discussed recently.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 pm

I have a Musicmaster. It's an open backed 10" combo. It consistantly beets all comers in semi-blind comparisons.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Why have you narrowed your search to a fender tube amp for bass?

It doesn't seem like you have a great working knowledge of what models are out there, so I'd guess you haven't heard a lot of things yet....

Go out there and listen, and check out different brands as well. Perhaps you'll find that the bass sound in your mind has nothing to do with fender.

A tweed bassman is a great amp (even the reissues are cool)..... but it's rare that you'll hear it used on a bass, especially these days. What kind of sound are you looking for?

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:27 pm

stuntbutt wrote:I have a Musicmaster. It's an open backed 10" combo. It consistantly beets all comers in semi-blind comparisons.
ooh, i love my musicmaster. fantastic guitar amp too.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 am

I've always loved recording bass with a Princeton.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:43 am

I think the Bassman 10 is the bee's balls. You know, I also was part of a session this past weekend where the bass player was using a Twin and it sounded awesome.

I like the higher-wattage Fender amps most times for bass, but have had good luck with the venerable Pro Junior as well.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:45 am

My bass-playin' buddy loves running through my 5E3/Tweed Deluxe clone I built into a closed 2x12 cab. Go figure.

I also think bass sounds great running through Marshall 18 watt-type amps - really any old tube amp sounds pretty darn good on bass, IME, you just can't get the really clean, really loud, really deep thing happening, but for recording they can be great.