Guitar modeling vs. Guitar Micing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:23 am

trodden wrote:
Beauty&Wonder wrote:I'm 100% sure the douchebags who are saying amps sound better than modelers wouldn't be able to consistantly pick out which is which in blind tests..

Somebody please put some good samples up and let these suckers put their money where their big fat mouths are!
you sure have been filled with hate lately.
Like I'm down to a 1/4 tank of hate..I think I need a refill!

It's not my fault if people aren't mature enough to deal with a little foul language or the way they interpret other's words or intentions..

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:48 am

Beauty&Wonder wrote:
Destroy Big Brother wrote:the peavey bandit, hands down. well... if the bandit traveled back in time and called itself a rage 158. the one i have laying around is for the truly brave. it needs to be smacked every now and then to function properly. it has a strange volume swelling otherwise.

even still, i find a peavey is preferable over guitar rig for guitars...
Why the hell should I?

I'm not claiming I can tell..others though..they are claiming they can tell the difference..and sure they will get the obvious ones..but what I'm saying is they won't be able to tell consistently which is which in the context of a well recorded song..

they are just talking shit..

Untill somebody takes a real test and picks it out every time all I gots to say to these people is SUCK IT..trash talkers..straight up..
why do you care so much? Just curious.

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:04 pm

I may not be able to tell the difference 100% of the time in finished, mixed songs, but I do know that every time someone gives me something to mix where the guitars are recorded with a modeler (especially distortion sounds) it's a pain in the fucking ass to mix. There's nothing real to EQ... nothing responds to EQ and compression the way a real sound does.

If I'm taking the time to record something that sounds good, why would I not use my nice amp that I can interact with while I'm playing and couple it with a great mic or two? Modelers don't give you any kind of interaction, and don't respond anywhere near the way real amps (tube or SS) do.

But who cares what you use. Stop being bitches about it.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
Beauty&Wonder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:06 pm Post subject: Re: Guitar modeling vs. Guitar Micing
I'm 100% sure the douchebags who are saying amps sound better than modelers wouldn't be able to consistantly pick out which is which in blind tests..

Somebody please put some good samples up and let these suckers put their money where their big fat mouths are!
http://myspace.com/ingsocrock

listen to the song "In The Form Of"

you tell me what is what.
Off topic... just wanted to say hey from the guy from Ingsoc... we played with you at Moe's Loading Dock in Indy a couple years ago... glad to see you on the TOMB...

MEAT
(ex-Be My Doppelganger)
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 pm

markitzero wrote:But who cares what you use. Stop being bitches about it.
Exactly.

The main thing I dislike about plug in modelers (and this may have to do with my digi 001) is the latency. Other than that I think you can make them sound good if you want to.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:15 pm

??????? wrote:
Beauty&Wonder wrote:
Destroy Big Brother wrote:the peavey bandit, hands down. well... if the bandit traveled back in time and called itself a rage 158. the one i have laying around is for the truly brave. it needs to be smacked every now and then to function properly. it has a strange volume swelling otherwise.

even still, i find a peavey is preferable over guitar rig for guitars...
Why the hell should I?

I'm not claiming I can tell..others though..they are claiming they can tell the difference..and sure they will get the obvious ones..but what I'm saying is they won't be able to tell consistently which is which in the context of a well recorded song..

they are just talking shit..

Untill somebody takes a real test and picks it out every time all I gots to say to these people is SUCK IT..trash talkers..straight up..
why do you care so much? Just curious.
cause it's so much fun to be a dickweed!

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:I'm 100% sure the douchebags who are saying amps sound better than modelers wouldn't be able to consistantly pick out which is which in blind tests..

It depends on what you record. I've heard people crank the preamps on their dual rectifiers so hard that it sounds like a wash of solid-state garbage. But if you get a recording of a dynamic player and a good ole tube amp, any emulation of that is pretty obvious. Amp modeling is pretty clever stuff though. I do agree that it's good for demos or getting ideas down at 3am.

It's like cars. The thing about guitar amps is a person like me can get in a tube amp and hot-rod it or modify it any other way to get the right sound. I never learned calculus or programming so I find it a bit harder to mod a pod.

Of course I was associating old cars to tube amps and new cars to amp modeling.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote: cause it's so much fun to be a dickweed!
fair enough!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:47 pm

??????? wrote:
Beauty&Wonder wrote: cause it's so much fun to be a dickweed!
fair enough!
*is enlightened*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

spencerwalters
pluggin' in mics

Post by spencerwalters » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:48 pm

hahahaha i really didnt mean to start a fight between the 2. i really just wanted to know the pros and cons of both because im new to recording for the most part been doing it for like a year and a half but thats just me and a 2 channel recording box with a behringer mixer. now im getting serious with it.

what do the terms like DI mean?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:38 pm

spencer019283746 wrote:hahahaha i really didnt mean to start a fight between the 2. i really just wanted to know the pros and cons of both because im new to recording for the most part been doing it for like a year and a half but thats just me and a 2 channel recording box with a behringer mixer. now im getting serious with it.
as you can tell, there are some pretty intensely held positions on the subject! :lol:
spencer019283746 wrote:what do the terms like DI mean?

DI = Direct Inject

meaning plugging right in to the mixer/preamp/whatever instead of into an instrument amplifier that would get miked.

this often involves some kind of box like a DI box (active or passive; lowers the impedance of the signal and then balances the signal for a cable run to an XLR jack where it gets fed into a preamp or line in) or a preamp with a high impedance 1/4" input or, in this case, a hardware device that simulates the sound of amp+speakers+mic that has a line level output.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:33 am

I've always been pretty anti amp modelers but they have definetly gotten way better, The Jimi Hendrix Amplitube shit sounds fucking amazing....I'm sure at the end of the day I would take a properly miced JCM800 over anything but I do all my recording in my apartment and its easier and given my limited knowledge of actual recording/mic placement etc. I feel I can sometimes get the modelers to sound better.....The pods and all those things I think are bullshit but the IK Multimedia stuff all sounds pretty great.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

SpencerBenjamin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerBenjamin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 am

To me the issue is that when I'm in front of the amp & it's blasting straight back at me I play differently than if I'm wearing heAdphones. Amps give you freedom to wander around; I like to wander. Headphones go all phasey as you move so you end up like a statue. Playing music is a physical act amongst other things, the vibrations of the amp which may never be captured by the mics give the guitar a different response, a different feel.

And can we not use the words 'Peavey' and 'guitar' in the same sentence? It gives me shivers...

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:32 am

SpencerBenjamin wrote:
And can we not use the words 'Peavey' and 'guitar' in the same sentence? It gives me shivers...
For the record, I think Peavey's bad reputation is largely undeserved. Some of their cheaper amps are stinkers for sure, but I've come across a lot of Peavey guitar amps, power amps, loudspeakers, and other gear that is actually really decent.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:25 am

SpencerBenjamin wrote:To me the issue is that when I'm in front of the amp & it's blasting straight back at me I play differently than if I'm wearing heAdphones. Amps give you freedom to wander around; I like to wander. Headphones go all phasey as you move so you end up like a statue. Playing music is a physical act amongst other things, the vibrations of the amp which may never be captured by the mics give the guitar a different response, a different feel.
When I play at home (I don't have an amp here at all most times) it's staight into my Firepod > GuitarRig2 Standalone ap > Old Sony reciever with giant 70's speaker cabs... I rock GuitarRig loud through speakers and it's awesome for fucking around... if I wanted to record with it (which I do on occasion), I might try micing the sound of GR coming out of those giant 70's Sony speakers... it sounds pretty good in the room, so why not?

Never headphones...

Never.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com