I bought it, oh 5 years ago.
It's pretty nice.
If you don't have one, you should.
Anyone else like 'em?
I love you.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:30 am

Pretty much the only vocal mic I use now... at least it's my go-to... love it as a mono overhead... sounds real pretty on a clean electric guitar... yeah, I'd say I appreciate it.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm

While I never tried, much less owned an NT-2, I've had an NT1-A for a couple of years and it just sounds so good on pretty much anything in my modest studio. I'm now experimenting with more mics, many borrowed from friends and a couple of ribbon Fatheads on the way, yet the NT1A still holds it's own. I also just read a very positive review in SoS on the new Rode M3 (small condenser). Of course, I always prefer TOMB/user reviews to what a tech magazine has to say, but admittedly, I'll take SoS's words a little more seriously. Rode mics just kick ass, period.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 pm

I go through periods where this mic or that mic is my "go-to" mic, and a year or so ago, I went through it with the NT-2. I do like it a lot on many things. The only times that I would put it up and not be pleased is certain vocals, when I compare it to other mics. You know.... certain voices like certain mics like certain preamps...

I think it's a really solid mic that might not get as much props when buried in a field of a million inexpensive LDCs.

Others I put in a similar light are older CAD mics like the E-100/E-200 and the Studio Projects C3.

Roger

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Sneer all you want- Some people complain about the Rode NT series mics as being "too bright", but there are plenty of good uses for these.

Some examples:

* A wonderful room/distance LDC mic
* If you need something to cut through a mix
* If you need extra "ambience" (which is nearly always in theater sound design)
* Actually sounds fantastic when you're recording to a lower fidelity tape (think Portastudio). Haven't tried it on a wider tape format.

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Nice, I've had one for a number of years as well. I'd always cringe when I saw the Rode bashing, although I agreed with most of the complaints too hyped, too crisp, too brittle, for most of the rest of the line, I always thought the NT2 struck a nice balance. Agreed on using it as a room/distance mic, always liked it on acoustic as well. It's good to get that off my chest. Carry on.

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:31 pm

My first decent condenser mic was the Rode NT1000 and I liked it so much I got the Rode K2 tube mic. I think they are both really good mics for acoustic guitar and vocals - they get used just as much as the U87 (which tends to sound boxy on some singers).
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:01 am

NT2s are good good mics.
I have 2 and have used them on everything. Too crisp? whatever.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

ditto on the drum room mic. nice.

the nt2 was my first LDC and got used for everything for a while. i thought it was a great vocal mic too. through a Great River preamp ... then i heard it compared to some really high end stuff (brauner, U47) and it sounded grainy and thin. so i bought some nicer vocal mics.

but i still use the NT2 a lot for drum rm, acoustic, mandolin, percussion,
electric guitar sometimes. a good workhorse mic for sure.
the new rules : there are no rules

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:28 pm

I used the NT2 as the main vocal mic for a couple of records. there is one at Studio G, and I will put it up once in a while when the vocal eems appropriate. I dont like it unless the pop screen thingy is on it, then I like it a bunch. The foam one that comes with it... that looks like a smurf afro. Or "smurfro."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Rode NT2 appreciation

Post by roygbiv » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:10 pm

I like mine a lot, but that's 'cuz it's probably my best mike :(

As others have already noted, it's a pretty good vocal mic.

Also (for me anyway) it sounds pretty tasty as the center overhead in a Glyn Johns setup for drums.

But the best part? The Ommmmni mode - very cool, but kind of scary the first time you engage it with head phones on - suddenly you can hear all those things that are trying to sneak up behind you.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

airloom
gettin' sounds

dddddddddddddddruma

Post by airloom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:14 pm

yeah, I use it a a mono over head a lot.
It's got a pretty good sound, especially when you compress it right.
I also get a lot of use out of it as a room mic if I want to put one on an organ track. Close-mic your m3 with a 57, then put the NT2 in the room and mix them together to taste.
Instant awesome.
I love you.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:32 pm

i got one about a year ago, and have used it more than any other ldc i own this year. really solid as well. i dont know what happend to mine with its past owners, as i bought it on ebay, but it looks like its been through hell, and back. it still sounds great.

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 pm

I didn't say they were durable as hell.
I've had some stupid-ass kids pull the cables out of them with the phantom power on.
I've had some stupid-ass drummers hit them with sticks.
Still sounds like $1bill.
I love you.

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:36 am

used mine last week as a mono drum OH with great results. this will be my new "go-to" setup for drums, i think. i do see a lot of people complaining about these guys though.