digi 001

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:10 pm

I'm still using a stock 001 with 2 Behringer 8 channel ADAT thingys, one for dedicated input and one for dedicated output. Also an old Sony DAT player for SPDIF stereo in or out (not at the same time naturally). Pretty powerful setup, I get great sounding records out of this rig. Behringer clock is DEFINITELY better than the stock 001. Sony clock (DCT-A7) is better than the Behringer, but I use it as DAC for listening in stereo, it's WAY better than the Behringer D/A, which is much better than the 001 D/A... Best conversion of the bunch is definitely the DAT player, but it's only 16 bit.

I think I'm rambling... my point is, an 001 can do exactly what you say you need: powerful, flexible, cheap.

For me, even the stock 001 + 2 Behringer ADAT units + nice sounding DAT player = a very flexible rig that I can use to track big sessions and do nice mixes either ITB or OTB. I inherited the computer that it runs on for free, but put some $ into it for ram, etc. Got the 001 used about 3 years ago. Owned the DAT player from years ago, but I've seen better sounding ones than mine used for $50-$100. All told I think I have about $1600 or so in the whole rig, including a second internal hard drive that I record on, AND an external drive for backup and going to other studios... I do look forward to upgrading this whole thing someday, but I love my rig! For the money it rocks and with a BLA mod...? forget it, if you can't make great recordings on that, there is something else wrong.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:37 pm

mertmo wrote:I'm still using a stock 001 with 2 Behringer 8 channel ADAT thingys, one for dedicated input and one for dedicated output.
so are the two behringer units chained together via adat? how does the PT LE interface work with two units? I have no problem with my ai-3 hooked up via adat/optical.. but never thought of adding a second.

and yeah, i've been using the 001 for 7 years now. I've made some great recordings with it.. the reason why i've never felt compelled to move up to a 002 or 003. i'm happy most of the time with the 001 and PT le 5.2.1... just the new latency issues with my spdif converters i've discovered make me a tad nervous...

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:48 am

Trodden, my rig is hooked up as follows:

Behringer #1 (input) set as master clock, feeds ADAT in on computer card. Behringer #2 (output) set as slave, gets signal from ADAT out on computer card. I know that you can use one unit for both duties, but not at the same time. I wanted to be able to mix tracking sessions and do headphone mixes in real time on my console, as if PT was a tape deck. Using two of the Behringer units allows me to do that, it makes my rig 16 in/16 out in real time. That was worth another $200 to me. Plus I just love never having to go around the back of the rack to switch the unit from one function to the other. It is really nice having a full time dedicated clock that is better than the 001 stock clock and also a full time dedicated D/A converter that is MUCH better than the 001's D/A. ...never have to switch anything. As far as how PTLE handles it, it's seamless, it doesn't require any weird setups, just switching the units correctly on the back. It's a sweet and carefree setup, I highly recommend it if you have a console and you want to use it that way. If you don't have a board, there is no point to doing it this way really. Hope this helps... :D

By the way, this little system design could apply to anyone with an 002 or 003 and a 16 or more channel console. It's a great way to work, I'm surprised I haven't read of more people having a setup like this, especially considering how cheap and truly useable those Behringer units are.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:58 am

mertmo wrote:Trodden, my rig is hooked up as follows:

Behringer #1 (input) set as master clock, feeds ADAT in on computer card. Behringer #2 (output) set as slave, gets signal from ADAT out on computer card. I know that you can use one unit for both duties, but not at the same time. I wanted to be able to mix tracking sessions and do headphone mixes in real time on my console, as if PT was a tape deck. Using two of the Behringer units allows me to do that, it makes my rig 16 in/16 out in real time. That was worth another $200 to me. Plus I just love never having to go around the back of the rack to switch the unit from one function to the other. It is really nice having a full time dedicated clock that is better than the 001 stock clock and also a full time dedicated D/A converter that is MUCH better than the 001's D/A. ...never have to switch anything. As far as how PTLE handles it, it's seamless, it doesn't require any weird setups, just switching the units correctly on the back. It's a sweet and carefree setup, I highly recommend it if you have a console and you want to use it that way. If you don't have a board, there is no point to doing it this way really. Hope this helps... :D

By the way, this little system design could apply to anyone with an 002 or 003 and a 16 or more channel console. It's a great way to work, I'm surprised I haven't read of more people having a setup like this, especially considering how cheap and truly useable those Behringer units are.
Do you shift tracks coming out of the 001 the additional amount of samples to compensate for the increased latency of the lightpipe device when you playback? The 001 has a sample shift of 51 samples in and out of the device. The Behringer has a sample shift of 73 samples.
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:59 am

once you get to the 002 and definately the 003 the converters start to outshine the beringer. I know that on my tango24 i can do 8 channels simultaneously in and out through adat. is that a limitation of the beringer unit? hard to believe its not full duplex?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 am

mertmo wrote:Trodden, my rig is hooked up as follows:

still confused, i can monitor in and out the 16 channels of the digi 001 and AI-3 in "real time" (close to it at least, in regards to sample shift). Is the beringer unit a "one or the other" type of thing, hence needing two?

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:24 am

Do you shift tracks coming out of the 001 the additional amount of samples to compensate for the increased latency of the lightpipe device when you playback? The 001 has a sample shift of 51 samples in and out of the device. The Behringer has a sample shift of 73 samples.
No, I haven't really needed to mess with that, although I knew they were different. I do make sure I'm not spreading multi-mic'd sources across the two different converters. Easy to shift the tracks like that, though. I'm glad you posted that Jeff.
once you get to the 002 and definately the 003 the converters start to outshine the beringer. I know that on my tango24 i can do 8 channels simultaneously in and out through adat. is that a limitation of the beringer unit? hard to believe its not full duplex?
I remember learning that the Behringer was not full duplex, but now you have me
wondering if I was wrong all along. That would be pretty funny if I have that 2nd unit for no reason! Gonna test it now, maybe I'll have one up for sale soon! :shock: Hope I haven't posted a bunch of nonsense, we'll see...

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 am

OK, just confirmed by testing that I am in fact a HUGE DORK! The Behringer is full duplex, and performs A/D and D/A at the same time. No need for two units as I have described above. HA! I just went by some bad info on the net and never tested the units myself until today. Bought 2 of them and thought I was a genius...DOH! Pretty funny actually, as well as embarrasing...
Guess I'll have one for sale real soon.

Please ignore all my above ramblings.
Back to the actual topic... Uhh, yeah, the 001. Still useful. Buh Bye.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:08 pm

hello, i have been looking at options for an inexpensive but powerful entry into the world of digital recording.
Is there a reason you need to use ProTools? If not, there are a lot better options than a Digi 001.

You could use a modest PC, say an Athlon 1.6 ghz, along with an M-Audio Delta 66 sound card, and n-Track Studio or Reaper as your program. These two software packages are more powerful than ProTools LE, particularly considering that they have automatic plugin delay compensation (APDC) which LE lacks. I personally wouldn't consider a DAW program without ADPC but if there's a reason you need ProTools then you just have to mix on crippled software.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:10 pm

mertmo wrote:OK, just confirmed by testing that I am in fact a HUGE DORK! The Behringer is full duplex, and performs A/D and D/A at the same time. No need for two units as I have described above. HA! I just went by some bad info on the net and never tested the units myself until today. Bought 2 of them and thought I was a genius...DOH! Pretty funny actually, as well as embarrasing...
Guess I'll have one for sale real soon.

Please ignore all my above ramblings.
Back to the actual topic... Uhh, yeah, the 001. Still useful. Buh Bye.
hahah oh man.. we're learning new things everyday... that's a good thing!