What could go wrong if I swallowed a microphone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:21 pm

At least you didn't do it like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QivWGNyR-yQ

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

This is yet another argument for bringing your own microphones to shows. When you've got your mouth all up kissing that rusty dented old SM-58, you really do NOT know where it's been. :shock:

pootkao
gettin' sounds

Post by pootkao » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 pm

i am monster face wrote:I had the artist blow bubbles into the bucket with a straw we grabbed for one of those 44 ounce sodas at the gas station (oddly enough, named Kum&Go). She's a small british girl and didn't understand the big manly bubbles I needed her to blow so I had her hold the microphone underwater while I blew through the straw. She was kind of freaked out about the whole experience.
Brilliant post. Pure dead brilliant.
"I choose not the suffocating anaesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the capital, that is my choice." (Virginia Woolf)

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:53 am

A-Barr wrote:Your next client's going to be pretty suspicious when he picks up a 57 that smells like condom.
my greatest hopes for this thread have been realized with that sentence.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 am

InvalidInk wrote:ha this is funny stuff.

My bandmate did something similar to what you tried in an old band he was in. They were recording a song live and he had a cheap radio shack lavalier mic in his mouth. They recorded the song and he would open and close his mouth periodically through out the song. I still haven't heard it yet but I really really want to.
I knew you'd beat me to it!!! I've got it at home on one of the Fracasos CD-Rs... the sickest is when the mic finally comes out of the throat and the music goes "full bandwidth"... it sounds exactly like the music was vommited to life... ew... going to listen when I get home.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

markmeat wrote:
InvalidInk wrote:ha this is funny stuff.

My bandmate did something similar to what you tried in an old band he was in. They were recording a song live and he had a cheap radio shack lavalier mic in his mouth. They recorded the song and he would open and close his mouth periodically through out the song. I still haven't heard it yet but I really really want to.
I knew you'd beat me to it!!! I've got it at home on one of the Fracasos CD-Rs... the sickest is when the mic finally comes out of the throat and the music goes "full bandwidth"... it sounds exactly like the music was vommited to life... ew... going to listen when I get home.

MEAT
That's the way to do it. You need one of those little tiny mic's with the transmitter built inside, like a spy mic you'd see in a movie. Swallow it and some Epicac syrup, then barf it up and start in with the death metal. Rahh!

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:34 pm

According to Al Kooper, in his fantastic book "Backstage Passes" which has now been re-printed, combined with another book of his, on the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album they made the drummer insert a very small mic anally and drummed on his stomach with his hands on one song. I really recommend the Al Kooper book, my local library had "Backstage Passes" when I was a kid. Very interesting read, I don't remember what the new edition is called..
http://www.amazon.com/Backstage-Passes ... 779&sr=1-1
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm

JASIII wrote:According to Al Kooper, in his fantastic book "Backstage Passes" which has now been re-printed, combined with another book of his, on the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album they made the drummer insert a very small mic anally and drummed on his stomach with his hands on one song. I really recommend the Al Kooper book, my local library had "Backstage Passes" when I was a kid. Very interesting read, I don't remember what the new edition is called..
that would explain the blood, sweat, and tears...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:52 pm

JASIII wrote:According to Al Kooper, in his fantastic book "Backstage Passes" which has now been re-printed, combined with another book of his, on the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album they made the drummer insert a very small mic anally and drummed on his stomach with his hands on one song. I really recommend the Al Kooper book, my local library had "Backstage Passes" when I was a kid. Very interesting read, I don't remember what the new edition is called..
Oh THAT's what the TOMB means by "ass engineer."

nyuk nyuk nyuk.

[<|>]

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:18 pm

eeeeveryone's a comedian!

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Smitty wrote:
A-Barr wrote:Your next client's going to be pretty suspicious when he picks up a 57 that smells like condom.
my greatest hopes for this thread have been realized with that sentence.
Jesus... I never thought of that... Kinda turns me on... :twisted: