PHANTOM POWERED CARBON MIC NOW AVAILABLE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beingbing » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm

oldguitars wrote:wow, finally another way to make a distorted vocal sound. I think i have plenty of ways to achieve this effect
Why dont you make me a list?

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 pm

let's see:

fuzz pedal
crystal/bullet mic
Mic pre with an output fader (my calrec 1061 does this well)
EQ/distortion plug or box (the shite distortion on an SPX!)
Tube saturation plugin
recording through a microcasette/walkman
one of a bazillion phone interfaces like this:
http://www.spyville.com/telephone-recor ... rface.html
or
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=PPM3C
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:09 pm

And the world only needs one method by which to do anything. One guitar, one distortion pedal, one amplifier, one mic, one mic preamp, one compressor, one eq . . . :roll:

The samples seem to break up a bit differently than any other method I've got handy. The mic seems to be at a fair price for that trick. And I like committing to a sound at tracking, even if it's set up as a secondary mic to the "clean" stuff. So I'll probably be ordering one before too long.

Bear

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beingbing » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:46 pm

Bear's Gone Fission wrote:And the world only needs one method by which to do anything. One guitar, one distortion pedal, one amplifier, one mic, one mic preamp, one compressor, one eq . . . :roll:

The samples seem to break up a bit differently than any other method I've got handy. The mic seems to be at a fair price for that trick. And I like committing to a sound at tracking, even if it's set up as a secondary mic to the "clean" stuff. So I'll probably be ordering one before too long.

Bear
Thank you.

I'm sure that the above list of methods for achieving "distorted vocals" each have their own unique qualities, hence the point in having many different tools. If you really get your head inside the sound of these mics, as my counterparts and I have in developing the circuitry...there is more to what you hear than "distortion".

What you hear is the output of changing resistance of thousands of carbon granules creating the AC signal. This can yield some interesting results with many sound sources. I've never heard of an effect called A THOUSAND CARBON GRANULES PLUGIN.

The reason for the samples with vocals on the mic are to demonstrate the most popular use of the "vocal through telephone mic" sound. Simply to show that capability. Though possibly this effect is overused and becoming trite in a way...It is still in demand. Just turn on the local alt rock station.

When an artist wants this aesthetic, we must give it to him in the best way possible. For a musician to hold this mic in their hand and bark into it, directly hearing the effect, may increase the quality of their performance on the recording. Most likely more inspiring than you, Mr. Engineer, sitting down at your mac tweaking a plugin.

So, in this form...phantom powered, and ready to stick in front of a rocker's face on a mic stand...it may be something you need in your studio. You may also want to try it out on percussives for it's granulated decay. You might even use it on a jazzy horn part, to get an old time sound.

Wanted to mention that the mics sold from this point on will provide a truly balanced output. Have been working on getting a transformer in there for a while and it's finally ready.