the Absolute reason NOT to master yourself

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:07 am

So, it appears that pretty much everyone who has posted on this thread so far has more knowledge of the subject than jeff, who's intent it seems was to 'edumacate' us. Great.

What's he got against 'kids in basements' anyway? I bet many of them have converters that are better than behringers.......
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 am

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 am

JASIII wrote:What's he got against 'kids in basements' anyway? I bet many of them have converters that are better than behringers.......
YES!!!! ....
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 am

well i didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes. precisely.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

Jeff, are you still even following these threads that you started? Hello?

Hello?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 am

Tatertot wrote:Jeff, are you still even following these threads that you started? Hello?

Hello?
he's watching some Raven Riley videos.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 am

JASIII wrote:What's he got against 'kids in basements' anyway?
well, they're the reason that he "barely breaks even", of course... it couldn't possibly have anything to do with his ridiculous attitude or his desire to squeeze every penny he can from his clients! no way...

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Re: the Absolute reason NOT to master yourself

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:No kid in his basement with mastering software is going to be able to do that.

Guaranteed.
For less than $500, Sonic Solutions PMCD lets you put DDP and your audio data onto a CD-R or DVD-R. http://store.sonicstudio.com/

Also, modern burners actually do have the capability to burn with essentially no reconstructed errors.

Todd Wilcox

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:56 pm

My point is merely that there is yet another additional expense here that puts great sound quality out of reach of the young, Winston-esque everyman.

Young Winston also needs a good wordclock. That along with this software is $2K the dolt at Guitar Center is not going to tell him that he needs.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 am

????????????

i don't think there's really any sound quality issues between a CDR and DDP. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

my whole system is clocked off a lavry blue, so therefore i am a professional. you should have me master your records for you. i'll give you the friend rate.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:36 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:????????????

i don't think there's really any sound quality issues between a CDR and DDP.
There isn't
someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
You're not wrong.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:15 pm

i don't think there's really any sound quality issues between a CDR and DDP. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

my whole system is clocked off a lavry blue, so therefore i am a professional. you should have me master your records for you. i'll give you the friend rate.
Nope. There is. That's why you should use DDP. Did a mastering guy just say different?

mp3s sound just like .wav files too...

Young Winston
ass engineer

Post by Young Winston » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:39 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Young Winston also needs a good wordclock.
I've updated my studio a few times since that time you came over. I got a Lucid GENx192, and am saving up for a Big Ben in a year or so.

I ditched the Behringer pres, as well.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:45 pm

@?,*ƒƒƒ&™ wrote:

Nope. There is. That's why you should use DDP. Did a mastering guy just say different?
Yes - this mastering guy just did (given in both cases of replication from either CD-R master or DDP image that proper procedures and due diligence are taken in the master creation, glass mastering & pressing). I'm basing my statement with first hand experience working at a CD replication plant (Europadisk) for 6 years which had both in-house glass mastering facility and an audio premastering studio under a single roof.

The fact is that any decent plant these days receiving a CD-R master uses pre-testing of all masters to insure that it is within Book specs prior to using it for glass mastering, and does load in to an intermediate data store (i.e. a hard drive) via "secure" Digital Audio Extraction which corrects errors on read in prior to the data stream being reclocked and then sent to the LBR.

Of course I'm sure there's some budget plants out there that do a lousy job of glass mastering from CD-R masters - but these will likely screw up the pressing from a DDP image as well!

Again - I'm not saying that DDP doesn't offer a good delivery option for allowing FTP delivery and for giving a greater assurance that there will not be rejection of the delivered master at the plant level - but to believe that it gives "better sound" than the same project replicated in the same way from an in-spec CD-R master has no real basis in fact.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:14 pm

Cellotron wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:

The fact is that any decent plant these days receiving a CD-R master uses pre-testing of all masters to insure that it is within Book specs prior to using it for glass mastering, and does load in to an intermediate data store (i.e. a hard drive) via "secure" Digital Audio Extraction which corrects errors on read in prior to the data stream being reclocked and then sent to the LBR.
This is interesting to know. How would a manufacturing plant check errors on a disc if there was only one reference? If the master source were say, Sonic Solutions and the master material were actually on a hard drive back at the mastering facility, how would a manufacturing facility be able to discern without comparing to the original material prior to burning?

Seems auspicious to me. Sort of explains how a CD ref direct from a mastering facility with DDP can sound superior to a manufactured disc.

Scarey to think something error corrects upon extraction. Does not DDP make this kind of extraction of audio a thing of the past?

Does a DDP disc yield less errors? Most assuredly. That's what the 'packet-concept' is all about.