Bass track: Compress before or after a chorus or both?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

43hertz
audio school graduate

Bass track: Compress before or after a chorus or both?

Post by 43hertz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:50 pm

I've got an electric bass track with a medium heavy chorus effect applied to it. Prior to the chorus, I've inserted a compressor to even out the louder notes of the performance a bit, but I'm still not happy with the sound totally. Had to lock up and go home before I could try much else so here's the question. Does anybody have any general modus operandi concerning placement of a compressor and a chorus in the same chain?

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:09 pm

I kinda like the sound of a dual-tracked compression/chorus. Put the track on two channels and compress one and put the chorus on the other. This is just one I like toying with, but if you're really just gunning for the evening of the notes, than I'd put compression first, chorus second.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Assuming you are in the digital realm, I'd say make a copy of the unaffected bass track so you end up having TWO identical unaffected bass tracks. On both tracks, insert some sort of plugin that allows band pass filtering with a crossover (I use Ozone). Pick a crossover point somewhere in the lower mids (say 350hz for example) and mute everthing on the first bass track BELOW that crossover point. This will be your high channel. On the second bass track mute everything ABOVE that crossover point. This will be your low channel. Now you can add chorus to the high channel and just compress the low channel.

This gives you the best of both worlds... Adding chorus to the highs while the lows stay nice steady and in tune. You might have to play with moving the crossover point around to get the desired effect (no hard and fast rule here as all basses and players sound different). All in all this technique is great for adding effects and not totally losing or messing up your low end (I use it if I want to add distortion). It also gives you good mix control over the bass. Lacking clarity? Turn up the high channel... Need more oomph? Turn up the low channel. Also this is a handy techinque because you can manipulate each side of the frequency spectrum without phase issues.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 am

Compression before or after a chorus, EQ, whatever will usually sound different one way or the other. The same thing goes for EQ, gates, or pretty much anything in the signal path that isn't required to make sound. Try it both ways and see which way you like better. There would be good reasons for doing either one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:26 am

Does anybody have any general modus operandi concerning placement of a compressor and a chorus in the same chain?
The way I *personaly* do things is compressor (a limiter in my case) after chorus - esp on an aux. Pretty much what Aitik does.

It evens out the chorus ands makes it smoother/creamy. There are tradeoffs.

But since you're asking this you should probably do what Chris Garges has suggested.

funkydiplomat
audio school

Post by funkydiplomat » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:22 am

should it really matter? one is time-based. the other is level-based. Assuming that the chorus does not boost anything that would trigger the compressor differently, I don't see what the fuss is about.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:59 pm

i'd think the chorus would sound like an 'effect' when it's added post compressor, but as more of 'part of the instrument' when added before the compressor.

why? because if it's pre-compressor, the compressor will compress the audio and chorus with the audio (of course), which, to my ears, makes it sound more natural, like it was 'miced that way' instead of plugged in after the fact.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Is chorus REALLY necessary on the bass?
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:27 pm

funkydiplomat wrote:should it really matter? one is time-based. the other is level-based. Assuming that the chorus does not boost anything that would trigger the compressor differently, I don't see what the fuss is about.
actually, that's exactly what chorus does.

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Honestly, and note this may just reflect my old ways setting in, Im sure I would (by default) set up an eq for cuts(API 550B), compression(DBX165), eq for boosts(API 550B) and an aux send(auxillery 3 to be specific for no special reason) to a Lexicon pcm70 for chorus. This would be sent to a subgroup with a parallel compression scheme that blended it with the guitars and keys, and possibly another seperate one that combined with one or more drums in some way as well...The subs most likely would not be sent to the chorus buss, though....But there are no rules, whatever works for you....Thats how Id do it though FWIW...

funkydiplomat
audio school

Post by funkydiplomat » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:23 pm

actually, that's exactly what chorus does.

I'm sorry. could you elaborate, please. I find your answer confusing.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 pm

chorus is a modulated phase effect. it cancels out certain frequencies while boosting others. it boosts some while cancelling others.

there should be a huge difference if you do it before or after.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:43 am

If you set the chorus first, you can do some cool interactive stuff between the threshold of the compressor and the frequency sweep of the chorus - make the whole track swell a little along with the pulse of the chorus.

[<|>]

43hertz
audio school graduate

Post by 43hertz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:14 pm

oldguitars wrote:Is chorus REALLY necessary on the bass?
Yes, in this case it absolutely did.

Turned out that placing one compressor before the chorus to tame the odd notes and then using kdarr's tactic of matching the threshold to get just the right amount of "pump" which the bass player (me :oops: ) wasn't able to provide with his fingers.