Live Recording with a XLR DA?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zachzaba
gimme a little kick & snare

Live Recording with a XLR DA?

Post by Zachzaba » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 am

I have a situation with a band this just isn't comfortable with recording any other way except together. This is fine but my microphone inputs are very limited and the way it is set up is a little fishy. The problem is that they wanted to be on camera (thus ruling out recording the vocals over and the use of headphones for a cue mix).
The first time I attempted to have the singer going into an amp (much like a stage wedge) and recorded that...too much bleed. The second was the same approach but there was a DI output of this amp that I used to go directly to tape. This output was extremely hot and clipped because of the rest of the bands noise.
What I was looking at now would be an XLR Distribution Amp. One output getting the amp while the other would be dry going to tape. Can anyone think of a downfall to this.

Thanks!

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Sorry if I missed something in your post but don't you just want an XLR splitter. Not a Y cable, but more something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... e+splitter

I would recommend the Radial boxes if you got the funds.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 pm

If you're using some kind of guitar amp type thing for the voice it's probably going to be a midrangy mess and cause much more bleed problems than a good little monitor.

Try a little hotspot or even nearfield monitor on a stand infront of the singer, put it the null of whatever mic you're using ( you are using directional mics, right?).

I just did a live punk recording with 441s on the voice and the rejection was amazing. I just put the drums and amps in the Nulls of the 441s hyper-cardiod pattern. Worked like a charm

The drum overheads were full of guitar and bass....Viva Punk Rock!

But as far as a splitter, radio shack will have that sort of thing. Or just use an aux send on your mixer if you have one. Or even better.... try two mics taped together, one that sounds best for the tape and one that works best for monitoring (old skool).
Everything louder than everything else.

Zachzaba

splitter

Post by Zachzaba » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Sounds good.

I wanted to get a splitter that was directly at the source because often the speaker used is far from the recording interface. Also figured it would be handy for live stuff as well. I suppose in a circumstance like this with little isolation they really need to expect not hearing the vocals that well...at least the singer would hear loud and clear. I also had some luck isolating the drums in the vocal mic but didn't have much luck with the cymbals, very intense!
Thanks

Zachzaba

Sounds good

Post by Zachzaba » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:27 pm

I did end up getting a splitter and the signal into the amp was fine ( I changed to a speaker like you recommended and it was much better...the other one I put on the other side of the room to give everyone else an idea of what was going on). The "split" or second output was rather low, I imagine because it is only mic level it would need a DI to boost it?

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:01 pm

well if your speaker is connected to an amp that expects line level than mic level will be super low yes. Also if it is an instrument amplifier than the level will be low and the high end will most likely be rolled off a bit.. I think that's how that works.

Sounds like you got it working though. Let's hear some!
Everything louder than everything else.