Basic EQ/Compression settings

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:57 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:weeeeellllllllllll, i think that's good advice if you're new to mixing (or if you've made a mess of a mix...just take everything off and start over) but if you know what you're looking for, like for example if you put a basic mix up and it's obvious that there's too much low mid woof on the kick drum, or there's obviously tons of unecessary low end on the guitars, there's no reason not to address that right from the start. you think?
How could I possibly disagree with that? You have typed into your interweb terminal a truthful proposition, dear sir.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:09 pm

:D

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Sorry for starting this with a sarcastic response. I've had an earwax problem the last few days that's kept me from mixing and it's had me pretty frustrated. I agree with whoever said that the best "starting point" is no eq or compression, and that experimentation is the best way to learn this stuff.

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Boogdish wrote:Sorry for starting this with a sarcastic response. I've had an earwax problem the last few days that's kept me from mixing and it's had me pretty frustrated. I agree with whoever said that the best "starting point" is no eq or compression, and that experimentation is the best way to learn this stuff.
The funny thing is that when I first saw yours, I didn't read through more than the first list of settings, and I just thought you really hated low mids.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:19 pm

Boogdish wrote:Sorry for starting this with a sarcastic response. I've had an earwax problem the last few days that's kept me from mixing and it's had me pretty frustrated. I agree with whoever said that the best "starting point" is no eq or compression, and that experimentation is the best way to learn this stuff.
You know about Murine drops, right? I just did a go-around with those last week and about 36 hours after I used the drops I literally had a gob of brown wax fall out of my ear, about the size of an average ladybird beetle.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:26 pm

GROSS.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Tatertot wrote:
You know about Murine drops, right? I just did a go-around with those last week and about 36 hours after I used the drops I literally had a gob of brown wax fall out of my ear, about the size of an average ladybird beetle.
I googled Murine and it looks like another carbamide peroxide based drop. I've been using a different brand carbamide peroxide and it hasn't worked too well so far. I've been getting advice on it from a few folks though, I have a couple more tricks to try and I've had this happen to me before, but thanks for the advice. Now, back to explaining how we can't explain eq to that guy.

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

HPF

Post by NarxistDan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:32 am

Hi pass filters are kind of a big deal too...try to find the fundamental frequencies of the instruments and roll off everything below. Or I guess if ear training is the topic of conversation:
start by moving the frequency of a fairly steep HPF up until you hear where the actual bottom of the program begins to be affected. See how different slopes affect the sound and how close you can get without losing important frequency content.
Even if you use no other EQ in a mix this will help low end clarity 9 times out of ten.
Also, try to get in the habit of EQing with all the other elements up unless you're doing drastic sound sculpting. EQ in a mix is mostly about fitting things together. How could you possibly know if you're getting closer or further away from that goal when the track's soloed? You might be surprised at what some "well" carved track sounds like soloed.

And try to resist the temptation to rely on plugins with pictures of old gear and just a few knobs. You'll learn more faster with the basics i.e. EQ III, renaissance compressor, than you will with the BF Pultec and LA-2A (although I guess you can dial in the BF76, but really...).

All that said, if it sounds good you did the right thing, learn from it, if it sounds bad, learn from it and try something else.
Rehearse More
Edit Less

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 am

Subtractive EQ is your friend. This was the best piece of advice I ever got from this board. It changed how I worked and how I listened.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

earwax = poor man's low pass filter.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:23 am

i cleaned my ears with the ol' peroxide+water combo about a month ago. immediately afterwards i thought "oh...great...a 6db shelf on my tinnitus..."

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Re: HPF

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 pm

DanTheNarc wrote:Rehearse More
Edit Less
awesome.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Re: Basic EQ/Compression settings

Post by The Real MC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:22 am

Boogdish wrote:For electric guitar:
-14db @ 382hz
+2db @ 904hz
+1.7 @ 1838hz
-6.8db @ 12321hz

For Piano:
-14db @ 382hz
+2db @ 904hz
+1.7 @ 1838hz
-6.8db @ 12321hz

For Bass:
-14db @ 382hz
+2db @ 904hz
+1.7 @ 1838hz
-6.8db @ 12321hz

I'll type up some more later, but these have always worked good for me.
Totally agree. Those settings worked great when I recorded a cover of John Cage's 4:33

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Re: HPF

Post by NarxistDan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:35 am

word jon

Oh, and EQ is for the weak, I get my mix together by pumping individual elements through carefully selected and placed speakers in a good sounding room through a binaural mic to a modified 2" 2 track Studer. All the real pro's mix like that.
Rehearse More
Edit Less

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:10 am

you've only got the 2" 2 track? no low end on that thing at all.

*threads tape onto custom 1' 2 track studer. nods smugly*