Computer recording rig - starting from scratch

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:11 am

PC or Mac, either way. mac if you've got the money and PC if you don't

I use macs for a lot of stuff but just bought a PC from Sonica for my studio
The price was right, components are really good, the company is good, and the warranty is great.

For interfaces I always advocate RME PCI or PCIe stuff (Multiface for example)

and Reaper is without a doubt the most interesting DAW software on the market right now. It would be a good deal if the price was ten times higher.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 am

Well Mac or PC really comes to preference and money and DAW platform. I would love to go mac but for less than half the price of a comparable mac I got a new Dell that has crazy power. Plus I use Cubase which I HEAR runs much better on PC. Although I can't comment from experience, thecubase forums are loaded with stuff about that. I know I loaded Pro-tools M -powered demo on my old cubase PC machine and doing a comparison using the same project with the same plugs the cubase session used like 30% less processing power. Perhaps on a mac that would be the opposite?

Anyway, I have been using PC's for the last 6 years or so and have had absolutely no problems. I have actually been coming across a lot of free plugs lately that are actually quite good. A guy I work with who uses a Mac is always bummed when I find a new plug and he can't use it.

I think for AD/DA you really need to research and find the interface with the best drivers. I feel that this affects latency and performance as much as anything. If I were starting over I would do go with an RME card and either some digi-max's or apogee rosetta's for the interface (depending on budget).
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.