Seattle based tape techs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

longfade
pluggin' in mics

Seattle based tape techs?

Post by longfade » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 am

I hope this is the right category to post this, but is there anyone in the Seattle area who can help me out with an MCI JH110 1" 8 track machine? Nothing major, just basic calibration, biasing and alignment, I believe. I definitely plan on getting to know this stuff myself, but I'd love to have someone experienced do it so I can observe.

If not that machine, I have a few Otari MX 5050s that could use the same treatment.

Probably a long shot but I've had no luck at all with Condor so I figured I'd try the 'boards.

Thanks....

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am

I don't know any tape techs, per se, but you might try calling around to some of the studios in the area and see if they know anyone who would want to make a few extra bucks showing you the ropes.

Stuart Hallerman @ Avast! is a really nice guy. I would start there if I were you.

http://www.avastrecording.com/

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Ditto on calling a couple studios to see who they use. I know when I was mixing at Electrokitty, they had a guy who worked on their tape machine and their Neve console.

ironbut
audio school graduate

Post by ironbut » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Give Dave Dintenfass at Full Track Productions a ring. He's an Ampex guy but I'm sure he could do what you need or direct you to someone who will.
http://www.fulltrackproductions.com/

longfade
pluggin' in mics

Post by longfade » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:32 am

Awesome - great tips. Thanks guys.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm

For a few hours of on-site tech support, you could get a years worth of phone/email tech support from Steve Sadler. I recently subscribed now that i'm an MCI owner, and I can't recommend him enough. In the past week and a half i've learned more about my machine than i'd learn in a year on my own, easy. Granted, you're doing the physical work, but he's very good at explaining even difficult topics. Even I, who've never in my life aligned a tape machine, had the thing purring in a few days after having him suss it out. I just with his help sussed out a ground problem on the remote that wasn't allowing it to go into rewind. I feel I got my money's worth the first day...gushing aside, consider the option- it's worth it as an MCI owner!

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:31 am

ironbut wrote:Give Dave Dintenfass at Full Track Productions a ring. He's an Ampex guy but I'm sure he could do what you need or direct you to someone who will.
http://www.fulltrackproductions.com/
I've worked with Dave in the past and he's made it clear to me he doesn't touch multitracks. He serviced my Ampex AG-350s a couple of years back.

I've worked long-distance with Doug Weeks out of Athens, GA. Tony (drumsound on this forum) will vouch for him...

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Thanks for the good words, Pathetic Banjo....Man. It's all so very simple and easy: The MCI factory doesn't exist. I was Senior Service Eng. for Tape Machines. Talking to me is like calling the factory. It's $200.00 for unlimited phone and E-mail (Skype for you Euro's) assist, from Jan. 1, to Jan. 1. Renewal after the first year is only $150.00. You'll pay a "tech" more than that to drive there one time. It'll take him a week to figure out what I can tell you in 30 sec.'s. Ask Larry, or Johnny B. Ask LADewd.

SS

hinkasaurus
audio school graduate

Post by hinkasaurus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 am

Hi mcijh, I've sent you a pm.
__jim__