Spring verb that sounds like amp spring verb but isn't

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Spring verb that sounds like amp spring verb but isn't

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey, do you guys know of a spring reverb that sounds something like a Fender twin/deluxe style reverb, but is a rackmount unit suitable for running -10 or +4 line level through? (Doen't HAVE to be fender sounding, just using that as a reference)

The reason I ask is because every spring reverb I've tried that isn't in an amp sounds like it's trying to be a plate, or something more high fi than a guitar amp reverb.

Just curious . . .
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:19 pm

I have an Intersound spring that's pretty great. It doesn't sound classy enough to be mistaken for a plate but it's has a 4 band parametric EQ that makes it much more tweekable than an guitar amp spring.
Kicks ass on guitars, organs, sometimes vocals and DUB FXs.
I found it years ago in a Cash Converters. I couldn't have paid more than $50 for it.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:02 am

maybe the sound workshop 242? Plug a guitar in & it certainly doesn't sound like it's trying to be a plate. I'm not sure it sounds that much like amp verb either, but it's certainly interesting.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:20 am

I have done OK with Lexicon MX200 (and I imagine the MX400 and others would sound about the same). There is a 'spring' setting that actually has a pretty good rendition of the spring pops. It's not very platey-sounding.

EDIT - DUH - I just reread - you want an actual spring in the unit? Then this post doesn't help you. Oops.
Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:12 am

Masteroom XL305? Maybe I have that number wrong...I guess I should check my own damn gear list...

Anyway, Masteroom made at least 1 rackmountable box reverb that definitely sounds like springs. It's got some sproing about it, but it is controllable (via an input sensitivity control), and it has some primitive EQ so you can dial in a tone.

What you want is a Fender tube reverb, but those aren't in a 19" rack package. Boy, a good one sounds like the springs God has access too...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 am

junkshop wrote:I have an Intersound spring that's pretty great. It doesn't sound classy enough to be mistaken for a plate but it's has a 4 band parametric EQ that makes it much more tweekable than an guitar amp spring.
Kicks ass on guitars, organs, sometimes vocals and DUB FXs.
I found it years ago in a Cash Converters. I couldn't have paid more than $50 for it.
Exactly.
I use the itersound or the peavey valverb whenever I want it to sound like spring spring verb...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 am

I've got a Furman RV-1 spring unit I really like. Has good parametric eq controls on it. One draw back is the transducers inside are prone to hum, so you can't really keep it in a rack. They do go cheap on ebay though.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:15 am

This thing is an actual spring reverb that sounds like a guitar amp reverb:
http://www.songworks.com/reverb.html

It's not in a rack unit, but it's so small you could rack it if you're DIY enough. I have one of these and it's nice, but you can't really use it as a guitar pedal. I should pull it out of storage and rack it, now that i think about it.

Todd Wilcox

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 am

i have a tascam spring reverb that sounds pretty fendery..

the masteroom mentioned here is much smooth and plate like than a guitar amp.
the new rules : there are no rules

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 pm

djimbe wrote:What you want is a Fender tube reverb, but those aren't in a 19" rack package. Boy, a good one sounds like the springs God has access too...
Yeah, those Fenders ('63 Reverb I think) are pretty nice. I almost bought one about a decade ago.

Have you looked at the Zerotronics CoolSprings? I have a MINI-LE, and love it. They are passive, so you can choose which mic pre to use for the make-up gain. Plus Ralph Muha is a really nice guy.

Good luck!
Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:40 pm

In a pinch, a reamp into EH Holy Grail?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:57 pm

not +4 or rackmounted but the pioneer sr101 stereo tube spring sounds good..I think I got it for $30..

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:not +4 or rackmounted but the pioneer sr101 stereo tube spring sounds good..I think I got it for $30..
+1. I foolishly gave mine away years ago when I got the Intersound. Stupid, stupid, stupid. DUH.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:54 am

A little helpful hint regarding spring reverbs... Most of them seem to have a little inherent noise due to the internal gain structuring of the drive/pickup circuit. This is normal and in most cases quite acceptable. However, if you have a unit that is excessively noisy and you don't find yourself using for that reason, try relocating the unit to a more RF isolated environment.

Turns out the springs will act like antennae and pick up additional noise from all sorts of things (ac outlets, computer monitors, etc.) I learned this the hard way... I had a great mic mix masteroom vertical spring that sat in the corner of my control room and just collected dust for a year because I thought it was broken. It wasn't until I moved it into a closet about 20 feet away that the noise was all of a sudden much quieter.

-Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Why does it have to be +4 and rackmount?