which transformer for my royer mod?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AMelbye
audio school graduate

which transformer for my royer mod?

Post by AMelbye » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:56 pm

I have looked around on different forums a bit, and found that the royer mxl 2001 mod can be done with transformers from Jensen, Cinemag, Lundahl or Sowter.

I realize the Jensen is better than the Cinemag, but how does lundahl and Sowter compare?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the turns ratio should be 1:12.5 (or something like that) rahter than 1:10. is this correct?

I had a look on the Jensen website, and I can't see the JT-DBE. Has it been discontinued? if so, what's the replacement part?

Thanks
Audun

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

The JT-DB-E is still on the website. Look here: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/db.html
The original article calls for the JT-DB-E-U which is the uncased version. It is not on the website any longer but I believe they are still available if you call.

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:05 pm

The uncased version is still available, like Blunder said, just call and make sure it's the "u" version.

That being said, the Jensen is not neccessarily better than the Cinemag. In fact, if you scroll down on this
page, B3groover has an A/B of the Cinemag/6205 tube and the Jensen/5840 tube and I like the Cinemag clip more. Granted, I don't know how much of that is the tube.

Oh yeah, the Cinemag's cheaper too.

-AE

b3groover
deaf.

Re: which transformer for my royer mod?

Post by b3groover » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:18 pm

AMelbye wrote:I have looked around on different forums a bit, and found that the royer mxl 2001 mod can be done with transformers from Jensen, Cinemag, Lundahl or Sowter.

I realize the Jensen is better than the Cinemag, but how does lundahl and Sowter compare?
Why do you think that?
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 pm

wait, are we talking Deceptacon or Autobot?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:29 am

I just put a cinemag in my Apex 460 and the mic went from 'FM Radio Smooth' to sort of hard and middle-y. Good gritty midrange presence now sort of like a Manley Reference mic. If anything, the old transformer made whatever you were mic'ing with it sound like the rest of the track. The way it sounds now makes the sound very separate from the rest of the track. Seems to have more detail.

I do not know if all Cinemag transformers have this characteristic.

The Jensen transformers have an earthy grrrr to them that sound very rock and roll.

If you think your mic sounds 'warm', a Cinemag is going to make it sound less so, but with more detail.

AMelbye
audio school graduate

Re: which transformer for my royer mod?

Post by AMelbye » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:53 pm

b3groover wrote:
AMelbye wrote:I have looked around on different forums a bit, and found that the royer mxl 2001 mod can be done with transformers from Jensen, Cinemag, Lundahl or Sowter.

Why do you think that?
I think the mod can be performed with transformers from Jensen, Cinemag, Lundahl or Sowter, because someone said so in a thread on prodigy pro.

I think the jensen is better than the cinemag again because people on forums have said so, although I no longer think that is definitely the case.

Any thoughts on Sowter or lundahl?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:54 am

I've used Jensen, Cinemag, and Lundahl in this circuit. They all sound different. There's no way to say what you'll like, you'll just have to try them. They all do a great job.

Not one of them is "better" than the others, just different.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

AMelbye
audio school graduate

Post by AMelbye » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 pm

I see. I guess the best option will be to get one of each and try them all out then.

What are the names of the Jensen JT-DB-E-U equivialents?

Thanks