Drum Booth

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Drum Booth

Post by Gummy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:46 am

I am getting ready to move and will be building my 2nd home studio. I have been looking at a lot of designs on line and have noticed how many small rooms are labeled as drum booths while the live room is larger. Is a small drum room a good idea? Do they sound good if done right? Is it actually a positive, at times, to put the drums in a small room? I am thinking about a one room studio, because I have always thought the bigger the room the better, as long as it is done correctly. I know this question is way too general, but I hope you get the idea. Thanks
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:59 am

I like big drum rooms...

That said, I also routinely record drums in a booth that's easily less than 150 square feet with stellar results. I like that sound a lot as well.

I can go either way. I love lots of bleed, and room mics 20 feet from the kit... I also like fairly discreet and focused sounds. Ideally, you get to choose what kind of sound to go for based on what you think is best for the record. Other times you just make the most of what you have to work with.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:55 am

I've used "drum booths" that when you rolled the baffles along, it was so constricted you could barely fit mic stands in there.

nothx!

the best drums I ever got to record was on someone with "too-little-brain-too-much-money" syndrome's remote recording rig in a soon-to-be abandoned warehouse with 50' ceilings. most fun I ever had. :D
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:16 am

Tchad Blake often record drums in a small (very small) booth. Los Lobos Colossal Head and Soul Coughing's Ruby Vroom are two examples. Both sound awesome.

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks. I think I figured out a way to get both a live room and a drum booth/lounge. I have never been able to get that cool "small/tight" drum sound so a small space would be cool to have.
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.