how do i? logic to cubase studio 4

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

how do i? logic to cubase studio 4

Post by billiamwalker » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am

My friends do a bunch of home recordings. They're my best friends and i like to help them with some of their recordings. The downside is that they record at their house where the room sounds good for tracking but not for mixing. They record through a firepod into logic on their imac. We'd like to mix on my system at my studio but i use cubase studio 4 through windows xp professional. Is there a way to go about archiving their session and then putting onto my system? i don't have any experience with sending out sessions to other people or receiving sessions to do work at my place. How would i go about doing this?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 am

If you just want the raw session files without inserts or sends, freeze each track and press play. Then copy the files from that Project's Freeze folder onto a extrenal drive/dvd. Note that the Project length determines the length of the files. If the end of the project is 2 minutes past the last bit of audio in the song, you may want to move it closer to save yourself time and space.
Once you have the files on your xp system, you can drag and drop the aif files into Cubase's Arrange window. Cubase should convert them into wave files (though I stopped using Cubase after SX3, so you may want to check here: http://www.cubase.net ).
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prog out with your cog out.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

superaction80 wrote:If you just want the raw session files without inserts or sends, freeze each track and press play. Then copy the files from that Project's Freeze folder onto a extrenal drive/dvd. Note that the Project length determines the length of the files. If the end of the project is 2 minutes past the last bit of audio in the song, you may want to move it closer to save yourself time and space.
Once you have the files on your xp system, you can drag and drop the aif files into Cubase's Arrange window. Cubase should convert them into wave files (though I stopped using Cubase after SX3, so you may want to check here: http://www.cubase.net ).[/url]
thanks a lot for your help. I'll do try this today to see if it works.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am

can logic export an OMF? if so you can then import it into CUBASE.

or consolidate the wav files and import them in.
the new rules : there are no rules

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 12:26 pm

I though about reco'ing an OMF, but I'm not certain that Cubase Studio supports it.
And that freeze thing I described is the Logic equivalent of PT's "Consolidate Audio".

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue May 13, 2008 2:13 pm

joninc wrote:can logic export an OMF? if so you can then import it into CUBASE.

or consolidate the wav files and import them in.
if you don't mind me asking, what's an OMF? OMG!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 pm

Open Media Framework.
It allows you to move projects between DAWs. It is by no means flawless (I never could use it to go from Cubase SX3 to DP 5.1) and it doesn't preserve plug-ins and instruments.