New Imac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

New Imac

Post by mixedupsteve » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I just got a new Imac and I want to tryout mixing with Logic Xpress8 on it.
Anyone using Imac out there??
I dont need inputs but what about 2 channel soundcard for monitors. Any reccomendations or shoud I just use the internal??
Thanks
Steve

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

The internal sound is just OK. You could do better with almost anything else extrnal though. M-Audio makes a number of USB or firewire based interfaces for around $100 that would suit your needs. Of the cheaper interfaces I say go with M-Audio in case you need to ever use Pro Tools. Of course thinking of Pro Tools you could always get an MBox, but those start at $250 or so.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:47 pm

I do quite a bit of work directly out of the headphone jack of my MBP. Honestly, when I do get those mixes up on my monitors through my 002, I'm never shocked at what I've done. That might have more to do with the 002's lack of quality vs. the MBPs internal sound quality. But there you go. I'm guessing the IMac sound is comparable if not better than the laptop versions.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

troymess
pluggin' in mics

Post by troymess » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:55 am

I just got done doing a mix yesterday on my iMac (Logic 8 Pro). I have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for my interface. I also have M-Audio powered monitors. I noticed I've repeatedly left the vocals a little low. Maybe that has something to do with the shabbiness of my monitors or maybe it's just my ear?

Anyways, I always try to leave the vocals a little "too loud" in the mix so by the time it's all said and done they sound right at home.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:59 pm

troymess wrote:I just got done doing a mix yesterday on my iMac (Logic 8 Pro). I have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for my interface. I also have M-Audio powered monitors. I noticed I've repeatedly left the vocals a little low. Maybe that has something to do with the shabbiness of my monitors or maybe it's just my ear?

Anyways, I always try to leave the vocals a little "too loud" in the mix so by the time it's all said and done they sound right at home.
That's funny,
I just bought one of those today. MFriend had one open box special for $79.00 so I grabbed it.

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

ned
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ned » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Don't forget that the audio in/out ports on your mac are S/PDIF capable with the right cable. You would probably be best with some kind of usb/firewire interface, but it's an option to keep open.

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 pm

a little off topic, but i was using my sister's MB G4 the other day to do some web surfing and thought i'd put on some music. i plugged my headphones in to the jack and was expecting to have a nice surf. it seemed all i was getting was sides! not literally all, but i was hearing very little center channel. extremely quiet vox drums bass etc. i know it wasn't a problem with my headphones or the jack being half way out or anything... was this normal on a g4??

-mike

ps the result was the same through the shitty internal speakers so it wasn't anything in the phoneout jack.
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

troymess
pluggin' in mics

Post by troymess » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 pm

nordberg wrote:a little off topic, but i was using my sister's MB G4 the other day to do some web surfing and thought i'd put on some music. i plugged my headphones in to the jack and was expecting to have a nice surf. it seemed all i was getting was sides! not literally all, but i was hearing very little center channel. extremely quiet vox drums bass etc. i know it wasn't a problem with my headphones or the jack being half way out or anything... was this normal on a g4??

-mike

ps the result was the same through the shitty internal speakers so it wasn't anything in the phoneout jack.
I've never heard of that with the G4 series, however, it could be her EQ preferences/presets on the sound card and/or whatever software you were using for playback (iTunes?)...

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:47 pm

That's funny,
I just bought one of those [M-Audio Fast Track] today. MFriend had one open box special for $79.00 so I grabbed it.
You must mean the Fast Track USB as the ultra is a larger multichannel interface. If you DID get the ultra for $79 then that was a steal! Even for the Fast Track USB that is still a good deal. While it is no Apogee you'll really appreciate the improvement over the built-in hardware. Just moving the DA to the outside of the computer is a big upgrade. I think you'll be really happy with the iMac. I miss mine and can't wait to get a new one to replace my wheezing G4 tower (which replaced and older core2duo iMac for financial reasons)

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:02 am

Hey,
It's the 2 chan USB version. I'm only going to be using the Imac for mixing right now and if I could find something cheap then I felt it was worth it. Its also got a micpre and a DI which will really come in handy.
I tried using Logic x8 on my macbook and found it impossible due to everything going on with the Logic GUI on screen.
Anybody have any recomendations for good cheap or free plugs for the Imac/Logic. I'm broke now so I can't buy the really good stuff.