If you could have any floor.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

If you could have any floor.....

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:14 am

So my studio flooded. Not much was damaged really by the 1 inch of water, but I need a new floor. It's cement underneath what I have there in t he basement and the room is about 12.5 ft by 10.5 ft.

So what would you put? I have some insurance money coming to me to replace the semi-cheap carpeting under there, but I want something better like maybe raising the floor or something?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Weasel9992
ass engineer

Post by Weasel9992 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 am

I dig wood...it's more versetile because you can add throw rugs any time, but you can't go ripping up sections of installed carpet. It can be a PITA to install wood on a cement basement floor though.

Frank
Frank Oesterheld - GIK Acoustics
www.GIKAcoustics.com

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Depending if you're interested in longevity...but I just refinished this 60 year old oak floor, and it looks like it was installed yesterday. Looks brand new, barely any wear, boards were still straight and tight. Reasonably cheap. I love hard wood floors for recording and I know it's what I would get if faced with the option of installing a wood floor, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be as a floating floor.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 pm

If I had the money for an oak floor I would get one.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm

What kind of money are we talking for one of them oak floors? I think it would be really tough though to get the oak down really nice over the concrete though, so it might not be an option.

There was a thread somewhere around here about cork floors from what I recall......

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:02 pm

losthighway wrote:If I had the money for an oak floor I would get one.
"How about you, Jimmy. Are you an oak man?"

"...Oak's nice..."

[<|>]

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:37 pm

I would love a hardwood floor.

But wouldn't putting a wood floor in a basement that floods be a bad idea? Or was it just a one time thing?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm

T-rex wrote:
But wouldn't putting a wood floor in a basement that floods be a bad idea? Or was it just a one time thing?
Good question! My freakin washing machine drain hose pulled out of the back of the machine while it was in the rinse cycle, so my wife and I came home from being out and found tons of water pouring down our driveway (we have a ranch with a garage underneath). As we have been ripping the carpets up and dealing with the damage, there is no evidence that in the past 50 or so years there was any other water damage ever. So, no, no persistent flooding.

I will get a whole new basement out of it sort of. Tons of fresh paint, new doors on some storage closets, new paint on the unfinished side on the floor, other good stuff...and possibly new walls if I push the "my paneling is all jerked" issue even though it's not too bad.

-Ken

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:14 am

Okay so I had a construction guy in today. Do you think that I can get laminate flooring and that would be just as cool as wood? They have this silver insulating sheet they put down on the floor before you put down the real floor so that you get the moisture sealed out. Pretty cool, right?!

So opinions on the difference between laminate and wood?

How about mixing? Am I still going to be able to mix in a room like this with that kind of floor? I feel like it's a reflection nightmare...but...what the heck do I know?

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm

kentothink wrote:
So opinions on the difference between laminate and wood?
to me it's the sound.

go walking on a laminate floor and then try a hard wood floor. you can hear the difference.

i think that difference is also heard in the audio.

however i've never really recorded with laminate anywhere. so it's just an assumption and probably a preference.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:21 pm

how about bamboo?

passnthru
pluggin' in mics

Post by passnthru » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 pm

I can help you with flooring options and questions.
I've been in the business for a long time and would encourage you to get what you like rather than what someone wants to sell you.
It sounds like you like wood or something like that so I will focus a bit on it.
Since you are on concrete solid wood directly on the concrete is generally a no. There are some new installation methods but they are new so there are not a lot of long term successes yet. You can put sold wood down on a 3/4" plywood if you want or a sleeper (strips of wood) system of some nature successfully on the concrete. We've had long term and great results from the plywood method. If you go this route you can put any type of wood down and if you like the "character" of wood you can save big by getting a lower grade (this does not mean Chinese manufacture) and finishing it yourself. Go one better and use an all natural penetrating oil finish and your bound to love it.
Laminate is a deceiving word as it refers to a number of different products, but is generally referenced to "plastic, wood like, snap together planks." The hollow thunk sound takes getting used to and it has its place but I couldn't and don't sell it with a good conscience. It has a stigma of cheap attached to it and a lot of places promote it because they don't know there are better options out there.
Engineered wood flooring is a good option for concrete with a lot of different installation methods. Two of the best are 1, it can float like a laminate making it easy to put in or 2. it can be glued direct to the concrete. It looks like a solid once installed, and if you are going for broke can be "double bonded" to cork underlay which is glued to the concrete. (Added sound transference reduction and some cushioning too.)
Cork is great if it is the glue down type. Snap together types similar to laminate will eventually fail as the are assumed to be drop and run products. All cork needs to be sealed with a Urethane to provide a long life. Plank products don't take this into account and will show the seams and if you do seal them it will void the guarantee. A good cork can handle a fair bit of water, will feel warm and comfortable, is easy to maintain and has some neat acoustical properties.
You could go with a sheet good like vinyl or linoleum, carpet or even tile.
The best way to start is to go by looks and function. What do you like and what do you want to do in there. After that you find a product that suits those desires and functions for your lifestyle.
I'll do my best to help you as much as you like.
JP
Now, tell me why did I do that?

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 pm

I've walked past sub flooring at home depot a bunch of times it appears to be some sort of plywood with rubber on the bottom that has the tongue and groove like laminate hardwood flooring that snaps together, then after that's down you put your flooring (hardwood, laminate, ect) on top of that. With the rubber on the bottom it seems to me like it might be good for studio/sound use. I believe it was about $5 per 2'x2' square.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Dude, get linoleum. So many of the best-sounding rooms I've been in (and heard) have had linoleum floors. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Additionally, I just found out that linoleum is a totally "green" product. I always thought that it was synthetic, petroleum-based stuff, but it's linseed oil and wood fibers. It's got a service life of something like 40 years because the color goes all the way through it. The major supplier of this stuff is is Switzerland, I think, and they're selling LOTS of it these days because it's made from renewable resources. They also make it in large sheets (like 4x8 or something), so you're not totally committed to 1x1 tile squares. I've seen a totally black linoleum floor made of these sheets in a studio and it looks completely badass.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 pm

i recorded on a laminate floor once.

sounded killer for drums. lots of reflections, though. laminate could be ok for a large room. my ears imagine problems with laminate and flutter echo in a small space.

if it's a shiny floor, it's usually too reflective.

just plain concrete works fine in my studio. it's got 'pop' but it's not shrill at all.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*