Acoustic foam idea...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Acoustic foam idea...

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Ethan Winer wrote:
rhythm ranch wrote:nor is it "open" allowing sound into the back as well.
Yes, but for flat on the wall it doesn't matter. With a space of at least a few inches the lattice is better for the reason given.

--Ethan
Agreed. The foam is less than ideal in the first place - I would definitely hang it a couple of inches out from the wall to maximize its potentially compromised performance.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Re: Acoustic foam idea...

Post by Holy Wolf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:15 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:
Ethan Winer wrote:
rhythm ranch wrote:nor is it "open" allowing sound into the back as well.
Yes, but for flat on the wall it doesn't matter. With a space of at least a few inches the lattice is better for the reason given.

--Ethan
Agreed. The foam is less than ideal in the first place - I would definitely hang it a couple of inches out from the wall to maximize its potentially compromised performance.
foam is not the best, but I have it and a lot of it and the price for it was next to free so I figure I should use it.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 pm

I have a question then, I'm almost done with my drum booth, it is placed in a corner in my basement, coming out 10' in both the corners, then 5.5' out then from there there is a 45 degree angle (I hope that makes sense)

I've made 4 bass traps (2 layers of 2" to equal 4" of roxul rockboard), 2 of them are 2'x4' then other 2 are 2'x2' because I wasn't thinking about the bass traps when I put the exhaust vent near the one corner and if I made that one 2x4 it would block the vent.

I feel that I am going to need some studio foam placed in places on some of the open parts of the walls, is it ok to use foam (probably from foambymail.com) or should I make more traps using 1 layer of 2" roxul rockboard?