best tape machine to learn on

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjac9
gettin' sounds

best tape machine to learn on

Post by cjac9 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:18 am

I've been recording myself and others through an m-audio interface for a few years now and I want to start transitioning to working in actually studios. I'm not in a rush and want to learn from the bottom up.

Which make/model of tape machine is best for learning?

Thanks!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:53 am

The later MCI michines are pretty simple. I just got a long email from Mitch easter praising the build quality and stability of Studer products. AS for recording and mixing unless you end up on a really old Ampex mose machines are fairly straight forward. Remember to be in Sync/Cue when overdubbing and Repro/Tape for playback and mixing. Don't kill the level on percussion or guitars or vocals. Enjoy the glorious tone.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:04 am

mitch??

Which MCI machines are the newer ones?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:38 am

maybe get a mixdown deck first, see how you like that. tape is cheaper. only 2 channels of electronics. machines are way cheaper.

otari mx5050's are easy to find
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 am

I was planning on just finding a studio with an engineer willing to give me lessons on their machine. I figure I could get one for my apt too though...hmm. I look for an Otari and email some studios.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:10 am

i use an mx5050 otari and its easy to use and sounds good.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Something old that takes some skill to maneuver... like an A80 or an older MCI... an 827 is amazing, but they are so smart and fast, and all the controls are so digital, that i feel like learning on one of those would not necessarily mean that you could rock an A80 or a JH16... BUT, struggling with a poorly maintained older machine (like I did for YEARS with my A80 until the last year or so when it has finally gotten close to being in top shape) will teach you how to be creative and how to plan your punches (when you can park a 15 passenger van with a trailer in the punch out gap...)

it's like learning how to drive... you kinda want to learn on a beater, then when you finally get to drive something nice, you are that much better at it...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Studer A800. I can't think of a machine more people know how to maintenance, with a better support community.

The A827 has lots more features and is easier to operate but also more difficult for some techs to maintenance.

I'd leave munchy crunchy and intermittent out of it!
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 pm

well, coming from nyc, that's easy for both of us to say, because nyc is such a 'studer' town... other than a few ampex machines, i think EVERY studio has either an A80, an A800, an A820, or an A827.... MCI's are great machines, though... with a cliche acronym attached to them... but have you ever actually used one? (i've only used a 2 track JH110b)

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:27 pm

With MCI I only come with anecdotal experience from other techs who are way older than me who seem to hate MCI as much as, if not more than, the neve VR, for their aforementioned qualities.

the studers I've experienced firsthand were always rock solid, and when not - easily repaired.

The 16 vs 24 track on 2" argument always confused me as the difference was so slight if there to me on an A800 until I found out from people who were actually around for the change that studios were pushing their 16 track a800s aside for MCI 24 tracks.

I really want a RADAR and a console for Christmas. :mrgreen:
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 pm

cjac9 wrote:mitch??

Which MCI machines are the newer ones?
JH24 with QUIOR punching is a good late model MCI.

Mitch Easter can be found Here

He's responsible for many things that became cool about 2-3 years after he satrted doing it.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:58 pm

JH24 with QUIOR punching is a good late model MCI
This is what I bought and I have found it great to learn tape on and it sounds great. I have owned various mixdown decks for many years and found them to be a great way to learn as well.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm

A better question would be about what features you need to learn about a tape machine.

A few recommendations in that regard would be a deck with 3 heads (erase, record/sync, reproduce) and a deck with audio cards that are user accessible for calibration.

Any deck that has these items would make a great learning tool.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:14 pm

TV Lenny wrote:
JH24 with QUIOR punching is a good late model MCI
This is what I bought and I have found it great to learn tape on and it sounds great. I have owned various mixdown decks for many years and found them to be a great way to learn as well.

Tom
I'm glad you liking the deck!

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:19 pm

good call. What is an inexpensive deck that can do all of that?

thanks!