does sweetwater know when to give up?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am

If you really want to see the corporate bigwigs descend, try pointing out that these Sweetwater guys-- for all their experience in the industry they serve-- are all "failed engineers."

They just, y'know, would rather sit in a cubicle in Fort Wayne than track and mix records.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am

joelpatterson wrote:If you really want to see the corporate bigwigs descend, try pointing out that these Sweetwater guys-- for all their experience in the industry they serve-- are all "failed engineers."

They just, y'know, would rather sit in a cubicle in Fort Wayne than track and mix records.
Prog out with your cog out.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 pm

joelpatterson wrote:If you really want to see the corporate bigwigs descend, try pointing out that these Sweetwater guys-- for all their experience in the industry they serve-- are all "failed engineers."

:( poor sweetwater guys. i know i've worked sales jobs i didn't want, because i couldn't make money doing anything else. WE CAN'T ALL BE WINNERS, ALL THE TIME
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 am

do you really fail at something because you choose to do something else?
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:38 am

rwc wrote:do you really fail at something because you choose to do something else?
No, you fail at something when no one hires you anymore, and you abandon it, and you get on with the next phase of your life.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:29 pm

They may have just moved somewhere the market was dying and ran out of money before they could afford to leave, then this Sweetwater email popped up in their email inbox and they answered it.
It was the deal with the devil to get out of town.
Now it's the tie, the basement, the cubicle, the mirror and the smile.
HURL!

If a local store will actually provide a better service than Swetwater or CG, I will use them. I try them all. The problem I have encountered lately, (the last 12 years), is that there are pitifully few that do. The ones that do have lines I don't use and resist opening new lines even though I may make an order that is sufficient to sustain a new line for at least a year.
Harumph!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:48 pm

I just got another email from the same guy.

never ever buying from them as long as I live.

the interesting thing reviewing an email from February is that there is no discount for say building a very pricey quote but they make it sound like it is a special quote. even if they are, to the cent, accurate with simply adding up MSRPs.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:39 am

rwc wrote:...never ever buying from them as long as I live....
Unless you put it in your will, you'd be amazed how those guys will descend on the executors of your estate!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 pm

I went to Guitar Center (it was a sunday) to get to sm57's...
And was offered a couple of Audix mics as an alternative. I bought them like a dipshit. Then realized 15 minutes into trying to get a guitar sound that they werent my cup of tea... Brought them back to exc for 57's after the session and was told that there was a no refund / exchange policy on mic's @ G.C.
I spent a few minutes calmly insisting that I will be able to walk with 57's... they caved, but were continually reminding me about the big favor that they were doing for me. OK... No prob, they are retards, whatever.
Next day, they original salesguy who was pushing the Audix's left a message to find out how they were working out...

Nice fucking work G.C.!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:53 am

Funny that this thread pops up again as I just received "the call" again from my sales guy today. Of course he wanted to know if I needed anything and was super chipper and stuff. I told him "no, I'm good now, but I promise I'll call you if I need something." to which his response was, "well, I'll give you a call next month". I know I shouldn't feel bad for wanting to say, "no really... don't call". I almost feel at this point that it's like someone you've been dating for a month, but you really should've broken it off after the first date, but now you're too far into it to do it without hurting their feelings even if just by catching them by surprise. I'm overthinking it, I know. I was even thinking, while I was on the phone with him, "ok, i'll just go along with him now, and then I'll write him an email later today expressing my dislike for the bi-monthly call", like a fucking chump.....

Anyway, I once again said nothing, did nothing. I know it's just 60 seconds out of my life every 2 months or so, but it really bugs me. I guess I hate being "sold" anything to begin with, so all the transparent shit that goes along with salesmanship puts me on edge. I know this shit's all been said in the last 50 pages of this thread, but since it seemed so serendipitous... :roll: :cry: :hammer: :shake: :crazy:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:30 am

DrummerMan wrote:Funny that this thread pops up again as I just received "the call" again from my sales guy today. Of course he wanted to know if I needed anything and was super chipper and stuff. I told him "no, I'm good now, but I promise I'll call you if I need something." to which his response was, "well, I'll give you a call next month". I know I shouldn't feel bad for wanting to say, "no really... don't call".
You are playing right into the sales guy's hands when you let him make you feel guilty. Do this: next time he calls say "hey, please don't call me ever again. I want to keep being your customer but I do not want to receive these calls". Then get off the phone as quickly and politely as you can. Don't let him ask you why you object to the calls. His goal as a salesman is to prolong the conversation until you happen to buy something.

He won't lose sleep over your request to stop calling, believe me. He'll just update your little file in the computer to reflect your request, and then move on to the next faceless phone number on his list. It's just part of his job.

Forget the passive aggressive "no, I'll call you" thing. He knows damn well what you mean but he's waiting for you to say it: "STOP CALLING".

If he is such a hack that he keeps calling after you tell him to stop, ask for a manager and then ask the manager to switch you to Joseph Secu, who graciously stopped calling me after I firmly made this request about four years ago (I buy something there about once every 18 months). I have no idea whether Secu understands anything about audio, nor do I care. I just know that as long as I'm assigned to his list they won't hassle me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:34 am

Tatertot wrote:
DrummerMan wrote:Funny that this thread pops up again as I just received "the call" again from my sales guy today. Of course he wanted to know if I needed anything and was super chipper and stuff. I told him "no, I'm good now, but I promise I'll call you if I need something." to which his response was, "well, I'll give you a call next month". I know I shouldn't feel bad for wanting to say, "no really... don't call".
You are playing right into the sales guy's hands when you let him make you feel guilty. Do this: next time he calls say "hey, please don't call me ever again. I want to keep being your customer but I do not want to receive these calls". Then get off the phone as quickly and politely as you can. Don't let him ask you why you object to the calls. His goal as a salesman is to prolong the conversation until you happen to buy something.

He won't lose sleep over your request to stop calling, believe me. He'll just update your little file in the computer to reflect your request, and then move on to the next faceless phone number on his list. It's just part of his job.

Forget the passive aggressive "no, I'll call you" thing. He knows damn well what you mean but he's waiting for you to say it: "STOP CALLING".

If he is such a hack that he keeps calling after you tell him to stop, ask for a manager and then ask the manager to switch you to Joseph Secu, who graciously stopped calling me after I firmly made this request about four years ago (I buy something there about once every 18 months). I have no idea whether Secu understands anything about audio, nor do I care. I just know that as long as I'm assigned to his list they won't hassle me.

+1. If these guys hear a firm "don't call," they know they'll lose you as a customer if they call you back. So say it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:53 pm

i buy from musiciansfriend so no one calls me.

Oscar Wilde

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 am

Now my rep has his assistant call or email...the rep's rep.