question for copperphone owners

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

johnnydove
pushin' record

question for copperphone owners

Post by johnnydove » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:00 am

i just got mine in the mail today, and it's great! my girlfriend sings opera and jazz and we just messed around for awhile doing random songs and she's totally jealous of my new mic. also sounds really good paired with a cascade fathead II.
so onto the question: how are you storing these? did you buy a case, or make one, recycle an old one, keep it in a crown royal bag?
i did some searching for cases on the internet, but haven't really turned up anything useable yet. i also don't really want to spend more than $50.
-johnny

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:54 am

I just lay mine in a drawer. It is almost indestructible, I think. I just moved cross country and I have had mine for 2 years and have not done anything to take care of it and it has not discolored or dented or changed in any way. I love mine too. So many things you can do with it. I think a cool bag or box of any kind would be cool.
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 am

Yeah, it would be nice if we could ship the Copperphone with some sort of case. At the moment, it's just not very cost effective for us or the customer. Production costs are high for us since we only deal in small batch production. If you've paid attention, we have not increased our price in 5 years despite rising costs of materials and shipping. Estimates for a wood box would increase the price another $40 to $50. We might look into some sort of bag option though.

In the meantime, my recommendation would be a bank money bag. They are made from tough vinyl, have a zipper and are more than big enough for the mic and the bracket. Just ask your local bank for one... If you have a business account there they will probably give it to you for free. If not I can't see them being more than five or ten dollars.

Hope that helps!

Mark
Placid Audio
Last edited by MisterMark on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:07 pm

I have kept all three of mine in a cool old wooden box I found somewhere rural, at a dusty old junk shop.
I put a little foam in there, and it works really well.
You could also buy a small pelican case with a pluck foam liner if you want to carry it in the jungle or something...

I use pelican cases for all of my mics when i am traveling. I even have a carry on size pelican with a cutout for a copperphone and a bunch of others because there is NO way I would ever check them.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:47 am

Joel,

Despite the fact that the Copperphone shut down DFW airport years ago, I have official word that you can now check a Copperphone in your luggage if you wish. My girlfriends dad is a TSA official and says the Copperphone is a well known thing now. When they see come across the scanner in your checked bags they know not to get alarmed.

I wonder if there is a mugshot of it in their offices? That would be funny!

Mark

"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:19 am

MisterMark wrote:Joel,

Despite the fact that the Copperphone shut down DFW airport years ago, I have official word that you can now check a Copperphone in your luggage if you wish. My girlfriends dad is a TSA official and says the Copperphone is a well known thing now. When they see come across the scanner in your checked bags they know not to get alarmed.

I wonder if there is a mugshot of it in their offices? That would be funny!

Mark
I flew with mine to SF,CA not long after that happened to you at DFW, and the guys at JFK literally said out loud, "what the fuck is THAT...!?"

Hilarious. That hasnt happened since, and I have taken at least one with me on a bunch of flights. They still seem to hate my RFT 7151 though...

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:47 pm

thanks guys! i think maybe for now i'll go with the bank money bag (which is something i never thought of!) and keep an eye out for a cool box (which is pretty much what i was originally thinking).

also mark, i don't really think that 40-50 is asking too much for a custom box to go along with the mic, i know i'd pay it. it's still at least half the price of most of the other nice boxes that i've seen on various websites.
-johnny

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:39 am

John,

We will keep it in mind! I suppose we could just offer it as an optional accessory.

Thanks,

Mark

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 pm

I will be again flying with a copperphone in hand on tuesday.
I have a session in Bogota, Columbia on wednesday, and I am bringing a bunch of mics.
Mark, I will try and get a picture of the copperphone in front of some landmark in Columbia....

Lets see how international flights go with the copperphone. Immigration in Columbia, then customs on the way home... wow. they are going to LOVE me.
:)

:twisted: :roll:

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:30 am

"FULL CAVITY SEARCH!"