Small Hardware Sysex storage?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

syrupcore
deaf.

Small Hardware Sysex storage?

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for something like the alesis datadisk that stores a little more than 640k and is hopefully smaller.

I have a few mid-80s synths. I'd like to be able to play the extra gagillion available patches via sysex dumps without having to hook them up to my computer.

Are there any old-and-used-to-love-the-plexis-that-came-with-keyboad-magazine synth nerds like me that can recommend something? Was thinking maybe an older hardware sequencer might do the trick.

Will

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:45 pm

Kawai Q-80?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:59 am

That looks perfect. Thanks! Looks like it stores 10 songs. Think that means I can only have 10 different sysex dumps stored at a time? Hopefully it's one per track per song or something.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 am

looks like the q80 is only 64k and can only store 10 sysex files.

After looking around some more, it would appear the DataDisk wouldn't really even work as it can only story 59 data files. Unless there's something I'm not understanding. Would be plenty for sending banks but I'd like to be able to snd/rcv individual sounds as sysex files and I currently have 1400 or so. When I get me a dx5/7, that'll double. :)

Might just need to suck it up and use the computer.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 pm

there's always that horrifically overpriced Yamaha jobber...i forget the model name.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca