I think i just got a GREAT deal mackie 1604 vlz pro!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 am

tyler477 wrote:people always think more money equals more quality, but IMHO it is mostly personal preference.
well.... your opinion is wrong. there's a pretty obvious correlation between more expensive gear, and better quality. It's not just some trick that's been pulled on all of us who work hard to outfit our studios.

that's not to say you can't get quality results from inexpensive gear.

you started out here bragging about the deal you got on a piece of totally unexceptional gear. good for you! I still use a 1604vlz pro every day for headphone mixes. it's great that you got a deal! But, then you asked about your weakest link, and when you were given opinions about this, you argued with them. total dick move.

If you have everything that you need to get going, and you don't really wanna hear anything else, then stop asking about it. you've got your gear together. start recording.

In my opinion, your weakest link now is your lack of knowledge and your attitude that you think you've got it all figured out. Here's something for you.... argue if you want..... but, you cannot use a 4 track analog reel-to-reel as a DA converter.

Good luck with your stuff. The more you learn how to use it, the more obvious some of those weak links will become.

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

Post by tyler477 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:02 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
tyler477 wrote:people always think more money equals more quality, but IMHO it is mostly personal preference.
well.... your opinion is wrong. there's a pretty obvious correlation between more expensive gear, and better quality. It's not just some trick that's been pulled on all of us who work hard to outfit our studios.

that's not to say you can't get quality results from inexpensive gear.

you started out here bragging about the deal you got on a piece of totally unexceptional gear. good for you! I still use a 1604vlz pro every day for headphone mixes. it's great that you got a deal! But, then you asked about your weakest link, and when you were given opinions about this, you argued with them. total dick move.

If you have everything that you need to get going, and you don't really wanna hear anything else, then stop asking about it. you've got your gear together. start recording.

In my opinion, your weakest link now is your lack of knowledge and your attitude that you think you've got it all figured out. Here's something for you.... argue if you want..... but, you cannot use a 4 track analog reel-to-reel as a DA converter.
wow, someone is sure riding high on his horse.

How is exporting a digital signal and recording it to tape not digital to analog conversion????? please tell me as it would defy all my means of logic.

if you read the thread you would see that i didn't randomly inquire about my weakest link, it was fore mentioned by a previous poster.... but i guess you don't bother to read posts before you start flaming.

congrats on all your expensive gear.... I'm sorry, but i can't say Americas audience is going to notice your 3000 dollar pres when they are listening to your tracks through an i pod with ear buds, or on crappy computer speakers on mp3. Have fun impressing your friends who have monitors, because no normal set of ears can distinguish the advantage. To me aquiring super quality gear is just kind of nerding out, which i love to do but not at such an enormous price tag.

It seems like after someone pays 50K on their studio they have to talk it up at all cost.... they are special, in the 50k audio club and must defend their purchases to the death. Kind of like an Apple guy vs PC, even though they are using intel processors now they still argue that it is "better" but have no real evidence as to why, they just have to justify paying apples jacked up prices. The word smug comes to mind.

Anyway, i'd love to hear how recording onto tape is not digital to analog conversion.
Ty

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I didn't mention anything about my gear. I just pointed out that your views on the subject are naive and uninformed. Your response just reinforces my point. I'm not making a comment on your gear. I could make some great recordings with that gear. I'm commenting on your apparent need to parade around your ignorance. I'm not the one shitting all over my own thread to make myself feel better about my gear. Hell, you started the thread to make yourself feel better about your gear.

You've got a long way to go and a lot to learn.

By the time the signal hits your tape machine, it's already an analog signal. It's already been converted to analog by your digital-to-analog converters. It's a pretty simple concept. And, it further reinforces what I'm saying here.

Stop being a dick to people who are offering your honest opinions about your gear, whether or not you asked for it (and you did).

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

Post by tyler477 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I didn't mention anything about my gear. I just pointed out that your views on the subject are naive and uninformed. Your response just reinforces my point. I'm not making a comment on your gear. I could make some great recordings with that gear. I'm commenting on your apparent need to parade around your ignorance. I'm not the one shitting all over my own thread to make myself feel better about my gear. Hell, you started the thread to make yourself feel better about your gear.

You've got a long way to go and a lot to learn.

By the time the signal hits your tape machine, it's already an analog signal. It's already been converted to analog by your digital-to-analog converters. It's a pretty simple concept. And, it further reinforces what I'm saying here.

Stop being a dick to people who are offering your honest opinions about your gear, whether or not you asked for it (and you did).
I know it's already an analog signal, i was referring to the affect recording it to the tape has.

I didn't start the thread to make me feel better, i was wondering what i needed to do to fix up this mixer!

You are the most esoteric person i've ever dealt with, congratulations. I hope you got off on pretending to be smarter than someone else without giving any constructive criticism whatsoever... That's just what this forum is for obviously.

And you sir, are the one being a dick.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:04 pm

:|
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

I think both participants in this argument have little to gain by continuing.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 pm

+1

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

Post by tyler477 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:29 pm

plus eight billion

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm

tyler477 wrote: You are the most esoteric person i've ever dealt with, congratulations. I hope you got off on pretending to be smarter than someone else without giving any constructive criticism whatsoever... That's just what this forum is for obviously.

And you sir, are the one being a dick.
Whoa. Tyler, maybe you should kick back and catch your breath, muster up an ounce of humility, then come back and read subatomic's posts again and try really hard to see his point. I assure you there is one there and, yes, it's constructive, whether you chose to take i that way or not.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 am

Whoa.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 am

esoteric?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:04 pm

This thread needs leathur pants for more metallica tone.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 pm

can I just interject here that in my life as an audio engineer quite often it is way more important to have people skills than audio skills. You cant tell your thug rap client to "just fuck off" because posse beatdowns notwithstanding, he might just not pay your happy ass. Quite a few musicians out there also have their buddy who has "almost a studio".
Heck even when everybody is happy and on the same page sometimes the PC/tape machine/tube mic takes a dump. Then you have to put on your niceguy hat and kiss ass. Even Steve Albini has to kiss ass sometimes I am sure.
So how about everybody goes back to their corners and works on their people skills.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

Post by tyler477 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 pm

ok, because all of you talked so much smack about the mackie board :? I just bought an allen and heath sr-16 plus for 250 on the bay.... here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0280503562
I have read many good things about them, and now that i've cleaned up this mackie board i'm sure i will get 300 back for it..... :D
now i get an allen and heath AND 50 bucks :P
what are your guys' opinions on this particular A&H board??

sorry for being a dick earlier, i guess it was that time of the month.
Last edited by tyler477 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Good for you, if that's what you want. The fifty bucks is nice too. Real good then. Lots of people like A/H boards. Hope yours meets your needs.