"old" errrr vintage stuff

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 pm

linus wrote:I expect gear prices will continue to climb. I actually think they are low compared to "vintage" guitars:

The most famous vintage guitars (58-60 Les Paul Sunbursts, '54 strats, '52 tele's) sell for 50K-150K. And they are relatively simple devices.
To update your figures a little, a really nice '59 sunburst will fetch in the neighborhood $350k nowadays.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:03 pm

linus wrote:The most famous vintage guitars (58-60 Les Paul Sunbursts, '54 strats, '52 tele's) sell for 50K-150K. And they are relatively simple devices.

Meanwhile the most famous recording gear (U47s, Elam 251s, C12s, Pultecs, Neve 1073s) sell for 5k-15K. They are much more complicated. I suppose a Fairchild is closer to 30K but even that is far less than really desireable vintage guitar.
EDIT - note -the rant below is not meant to question the underlying premise of Linus that vintage electric equipment is currently under priced and will continue to increase in value. It's more of a rambling treatise as to why some vintage instruments have reached craaaazy prices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been pondering this recently. It seems (to me) the above-mentioned vintage guitars (and before that, violins, etc.) are worth crazy amounts EXACTLY because of their simplicity.

The fact that they are so simple, yet sublime, is maddening to those who would capture their juju. The mystery of their "magic" propagates the concept of them being somehow unbound by the laws of physics. Thus rationalizing their irrational prices, as who can put a price on magic? Note that I am not saying these old vintage instruments are better, or magical, but music is art, and perception is a huge part of the magic. I mean, why is a Van Gogh worth millions? Ya got me.

Anyway, in contrast to the simple instruments (or furniture, or art), most electronic devices can be emulated, since (for the most part) they are simply the product of basic physical principles and engineering practices. They can either be reverse-engineered, re-made or even (gasp) digitally emulated. Not to say they will ever be re-made, but just the fact that the "could" be I think keeps the values in a more reasonable range.

So, based on the above logic, I can't see how most any of these electronic recording devices will ever reach the ridiculous value/prices of a 59' Les Paul (or Stradivarius). Microphones maybe, as they are a relatively simple device, and people can lord it over you how special their 40's Neufunken mic is because the capsule was made in part using hair only from balding SS officers, or whateffer.

But what do I know? I could be wrong, and often am. Using similar logic, I dumped most of my old analog synths 20 years ago. And most of those keyboards have certainly gone up in value. However, they have not gone up in value at nearly same rate as my 69' Strat. But in full dicslosure, I didn't at all see the ridiculous boom in guitar prices lasting this long, and that's why I dumped a beautiful 69' sunburst P-bass for ~ $500 15 years ago 'cause I needed some quick cash. And don't get me started on the 59' gold top Les Paul (with a cracked neck) I passed on buying ~25 years ago for $500.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I was trying to explain that to a relative recently. How I was thinking of buying an absurd vintage instrument to "hold" my liquid cash. Because I dont currently trust the dollar to hold value, but I know a vintage Musicman/Fender/Gibson/etc will hold value. Besides, if I ebay it I might get a foriegn bidder (Japan?) that places a higher value on it than we do here. I have heard the Japanese are almost as nuts for old Fenders as they are for big E Levis.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Blade
takin' a dinner break

Post by Blade » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:59 am

Something is only worth what one is willing to pay for it!

Early Strats, Tele's, Les Paul's.....50K - 150K?

They can keep em!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:50 pm

roygbiv - I agree with much of your theory. I think much of the vibe that people are trying to capture is the sublime music created by the famous people that played particular models.

Would 'bursts be worth as much if not for Jimmy Page?? I don't think so. They would be the same guitar, but somehow the mystique wouldn't be the same without him playing them. (And before anyone points it out, yes I know he played a tele/tonebender/supro for much of the early stuff and not a 'burst through a Marshall.)

U47s are the same way. We've all seen a thousand photographs of U47s being used on classic recordings. There are other mics that sound great too but somehow a U47 has a mystique that matters.

Anyhow. I still think vintage, err, old recording gear is a bargain compared to vintage guitars.

I actually expect that prices on vintage guitars will drop a bit until the economy staggers back to its feet again. Foreign investors are hurting too. But then I suspect that will begin the steady climb again.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com