Bass recording for sale...how???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

majortom
pushin' record

Bass recording for sale...how???

Post by majortom » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey all,

so I have a friend who is a very good bass player in both live/recording situations. He lives in the Durango area of Colorado. He plays in several bands there but wants to expand. We were talking the other day about the hows/what's etc.. of recording for others projects; they send him the music he lays down the bass track.

My question is for those of you who may know more about this, please give me any thoughts you may have; thoughts on a decent rig for this, meida he should use, pre's, mics, where to advertise, what to charge, etc..

I realize this is very general but I'm just trying to get my head around it all.

thanks, Tom

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Bass recording for sale...how???

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:10 am

majortom wrote:Hey all,

so I have a friend who is a very good bass player in both live/recording situations. He lives in the Durango area of Colorado. He plays in several bands there but wants to expand. We were talking the other day about the hows/what's etc.. of recording for others projects; they send him the music he lays down the bass track.

My question is for those of you who may know more about this, please give me any thoughts you may have; thoughts on a decent rig for this, meida he should use, pre's, mics, where to advertise, what to charge, etc..

I realize this is very general but I'm just trying to get my head around it all.

thanks, Tom
I think the most important thing, is your marketing.

As far as gear is concerned... he already owns stuff, right? there you go.

As far as compatibility with other studios = ProTools.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:03 pm

I guess esession.com was essentially devised to allow people to do just this.

It's a little more geared toward session players with extensive credits, but it might be worth a look.

majortom
pushin' record

Post by majortom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 am

Thanks for the tips, the pro toools thought has me wondering...would you record the track and send it as a pro tools session, or would you just send it as some type of file and let the buyer drop it in where they want?

I will have Chris give esession a look, good tip. Thank you. Tom

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:43 am

majortom wrote:Thanks for the tips, the pro toools thought has me wondering...would you record the track and send it as a pro tools session, or would you just send it as some type of file and let the buyer drop it in where they want?

I will have Chris give esession a look, good tip. Thank you. Tom
As to the ProTools... either one. Sometimes they can send him a multitrack session, os a mix, etc... it gives more options as far as delivery.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 am

I'd forget about dealing with Pro Tools sessions. Consolidated .wav files are less problematic. They send your buddy a reference mix and a click. He sends back a bass track.