Removing/Replacing bracing on ceiling joists

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Removing/Replacing bracing on ceiling joists

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:20 am

I'm moving my live room into a bigger room. The ceiling is not yet treated. Space is an issue, so I will be putting double drywall layers, green glued together between the ceiling joists, with insulation over that. I am going to remove the bracing between the joists to put this stuff in and then replace the bracing for safety's sake.

The bracing doesn't look like rocket science, they are nailed in in x pattern, or cross bracing I think it is called. I can't find a simple explanation to make sure I do it right. Obviously small wood cut to fit the space...... I guess I want to read slightly more formal directions on this before I put it all up so I know my ceiling is safe.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:23 am

Do you have Rod's book? He talks about this in there.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:46 am

He talks about the necessity for doing it, but doesn't really give the size/type of board that is best for bracing, how frequently to space them etc (I'll check again in case I'm wrong).

It seems like such a common sense issue that it isn't really covered in the DIY home improvement websites. Somehow I feel like I need a little more info.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm

sorry to bump, but hasn't anyone on here had to do this at some point?

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 pm

losthighway wrote:He talks about the necessity for doing it, but doesn't really give the size/type of board that is best for bracing, how frequently to space them etc (I'll check again in case I'm wrong).
Well, I'm no expert, but I would replace the bracing back where it was. I'm pretty sure that solid blocking is better than 1x3 cross bracing. I would rip 2x stock to fill the cavity.