Little Martin

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cfMC
pushin' record

Little Martin

Post by cfMC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:23 pm

speaking of good deals in these tough economic times, I got a Little Martin at Guitar Center for half retail. Gonna keep it at my office to screw around on at lunch.

I am surprised how great it plays and sounds, compared to say the awful Backpacker, or the Baby Taylor.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Yes. These often make a good second guitar if you ever get to work on an acoustic project that needs doubled acoustic guitars. Often, two tracks of the same guitar leads to chorusing. But these smaller body instruments can be good percussive instruments. My Baby Taylor was used alot until I sold it and moved into a Mandolin. That's a whole other beast.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:51 pm

I hear you on using different instruments to double acoustic tracks-- yeah it always sounds bad to use the same guitar. I'm gonna keep that in mind for sure

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 am

yeah it always sounds bad to use the same guitar.
What I've done, since I own only 1 acoustic is to use a capo for an additional track. Using different chord forms and the capo can sound really good. I'd love to have a smaller guitar like the baby Taylor though.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 am

I love my Baby Martin. Spill ice cream cone on it, wipe it off. I dumped mine onto a tile floor a few years ago. Made a split in the seam between the front and the side panel on the peg side of high e. Took it to my luthier who did some research and found the best adhesive for the material. Good as new. Intonation is great, and it stays the hell in tune since the composite body isn't greatly affected by humidity.

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:21 am

cfMC wrote:yeah it always sounds bad to use the same guitar.
I don't agree with this totally. If I'm recording to entirely different parts I like to use two different guitars. If I'm doubling the same part, especially a strummy part and panning left/right, I like using the same guitar. Sometimes.
BOT, I'd love to have a little Martin guitar at my disposal.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:40 am

Yeah, I have one in my office at work, to sing my students' tears away when I tell them they're getting a C-minus.

Unfortunately it doesn't record very well, in my opinion. But it sounds good when you're playing it. Maybe I should mic it up next to my ears.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:32 am

I am on vacation for the holiday so playing the Little Martin at home before I take it to work. My wife will kill me if I don't take it to work though, that was my excuse for buying it & I have 2 acoustics at home already. I have this habit of buying guitars and leaving them in Japan or PA, so I have decent guitars to play when visiting family without trying to take them on airplanes etc.

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Re: Little Martin

Post by BlueMoonshine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:19 am

cfMC wrote:s compared to say the awful Backpacker, or the Baby Taylor.
I've had a Martin Backpacker and Baby Taylor for years -- both are useful for different things. You're right that the Backpacker is subjectively "awful," but I find that sometimes when recorded it offers an un-guitar-like tone that can be very cool, for example on this demo track of mine: http://bluemoonshineband.com/MP3/FAWM20 ... etails.mp3

Reminds me that I need to get my Baby Taylor a set-up -- the intonation is way off and I'd like to use it again!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:27 am

inverseroom wrote:Yeah, I have one in my office at work, to sing my students' tears away when I tell them they're getting a C-minus.
pix plz, kthx!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca